FM3 Renewal

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cunspin, Jun 6, 2007.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Being able to own property outright would be a big advantage also.

2. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jen,

You don't need a lawyer. You go to SRE (Relaciones Exteriores) on Nader, you fill-in the papers with your motivations (that you don't want anymore to deal with INM :lol: ), you pay... and wait.
    After a few months, you receive (in the best case) a letter asking for more money, that means you have been accepted. Wait again, then one day you receive your carta de naturalizacion.

You are never asked to speak Spanish, know the history of the country, the anthem or whatever like in Canada.

Cunspin,

you are right, when you are a Mexican, you cannot call anymore your consul. But mine (2) have never been of a lot of help. Welll... I never went to jail....

When you go out of the country you present your US, Canadian or any passport THEN the Mexican one like you presented your FM3/2 before. It is your status in the country. So you enter the other country you travel to with your original passport, and the Mexican one upon your return (with a sheet of paper, not that different than the previous FM). Just you don't have to go back and forth to the INM.

Paying taxes... Mexican or not, you have to. No more fideicomiso. You cannot import a car, but neither can you with an FM2, and I have never seen a real interest in it. BUT!!!!!!!!! you can work, live, wherever you want. No permission to ask to anybody. On the other hand, they (INM) can't kick you out of the country on whatever pretext... or denunciation.

I have 3 citizenships... and I happily deal with them depending on where I go :D

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The US Consul will be of dubious help if you do go to jail, it would be nice to think that they could work miracles. But in Mexico connections and money work miracles, not Consular Agents.

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like I said it depends on each individual person, We don't buy used cars we buy them new. Financing in the States is great here its a ripoff.

5. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jenleib,
    It all seems straight forward as you say. But I don't even know how to write a formal letter which they require (stating how many times you have entered and left the country in the last x amout of years). It's stuff like that I don't want to screw up. Did you just have a friend write all that for you (or maybe your Spanish is good enough you did it yourself?) My Spanish is good enough but not for a formal letter where I want to make a good impression. :?

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your point is a good one. It doesn't apply to me because I don't borrow money to buy cars, I pay cash for them. A car is a crappy investment, so carrying a payment and paying interest on one seems ludicrous to me. If I wanted cheap financing I would agree with you all the way. But I prefer to own cars, and houses and everything else outright.

7. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jen,

I did everything myself, and it is not so formal. About the dates, you have them on your FMx.

If you like, I can show you all my paperwork, it seemed easy to me.

Send me a pm, an email, or a yahoo chat

Relaxxxxxxxxxx :D

8. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Jenleib!
    I guess I am paranoid as I had a nightmare with immigration as well last year!. Have pm'd ya.

9. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    check your pm also Jen

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice