FM3 - Bad Timing Issues

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Alma Libre, Feb 22, 2007.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rob - There are lots of folks who will charge you to do your paperwork. If you want to pay I know one of the guys who used approve FM3s in Cancun, so he knows everything.

But it's not that hard if you qualify. If you want me to go over your list of needed docs with you I'd be happy to. I got my last FM3 renewed with only 3 trips to INM, one to get the list of docs, one to file and one to pick it up. It's not hard, you just have to do everything right.

PM me and we'll go private if you want help.

2. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rob,

I know nothing about FM3s ... I just wanted to say that I have been to your

bookstore in Puerto Morelos, and thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

janie

3. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you RiverGirl, I have sent you a PM. Normally we would have had all this well underway by now, but Joanne has had to fly back to Canada three times in the last few months to be with her mother. Now time is short, so we really want to get it right the first time.

I am interested in what the guy you mentioned would charge to help us out.

Janie: Thanks for your kind words!

This is a great board, I have learned a lot here...

4. Wabash

Wabash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am presently renewing my FM2. I am hoping this is a 3 visit and done year. One to submit paperwork, two to get the word that I am approved and my SAT 5, and then three to pay and receive. That is the way it has worked the last 3 years. The office in Playa is good, as long as you know what to take.

BTW, I have also visited your store more than a few times. I actually got the My First Poo (or something similar) in English for my sons. They still love to read it, although they have been pooing well for a couple of years. :wink:

5. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rob,
    Check with Bret. He had a problem with his letter from Immigration. An agent at the airport made it very difficult for him on a return, because according to the agent "Yes, the letter gave you permission to leave, but does not say you have permission to come back" !!

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you get the letter you must specify with INM that you want permission to leave and to return. Believe it or not if your Immigration papers are in process or if you are here illegally you LEGALLY CANNOT LEAVE! Pretty screwed up imho. But it's true that you need permission to leave and permission to return. These are separate things.

7. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Round trip

Thank you folks, I would have never thought of that!

8. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Immigration update

I now have all my papers into immigration. It took two trips. I have a corporation, so I must submit two sets of papers. One is the regular FM3 stuff for Joanne and I and one for the business.

They accepted the personal stuff last Friday, but would not accept my business stuff because I did not have my original Acta Constitutiva, I had many copies but forgot the original.

Long story short, I tore the house apart looking for my original all weekend and could not find it. Yesterday morning I decided to try to submit my papers again and plead that they accept the copies as I have mislaid the original. This time they accepted the same papers without question and without asking for the original. Sigh.

They also told me that the permission to exit letter can only be obtained after you have bought your airline ticket, a copy must be attached to your application for the letter. Is that everyone else's experience?

The only other surprise I had was that they needed extra copies of the passports and FM3s as a copy of my stuff was put in Joanne's file and vice versa. I was carrying a boatload of copies of everything, so not a problem.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The permission to leave letter needing an actual plane ticket makes sense to me. So I'm not surprised by that requirement at all. I know of someone who had issues with INM and traveled with one of those letters once a month for several years!!! Pain in the neck.

And Rob, buy yourself a beer! If you got everything filed in only 2 trips you definitely have what it takes to avoid using an attorney for that crap again. I've found that INM's requirements are logical. They are inconsistent about numbers of copies and requiring originals. And they tend to lose things. But the actual requirements mostly seem to make sense.

10. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holding off on that beer

Thanks RiverGirl. I was so relieved when they accepted all the papers.

Still plenty to worry about though...like will they be able to link the new papers I just filed with the other papers I filed a week ago? Hope so!

If I can get my new FM3 without involving my lawyer...I will have saved enough money to buy the whole town a beer! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice