FM 3 documents

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FM3...good news at last!

We visited Immigration today...lost count of how many visits in the last 7 weeks...and they made an appointment for us for next Thursday so they can get our thumb print and give us our little green book...at least we think that's what the appointment is for!

It's been a long run and we've learned a lot and wasted a lot of time and gasoline. The worst news is that the business portion of our FM3, the Expediente Basico is now only good for 6 months...so we'll be back at Immigration before we know it.

I still won't believe it's over until my thumb is stained...then we celebrate!

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    We were so excited to get the thumb print appointment too- at last I thought an end to all this crap.
    However 4 months down the line we discover that our FM3s have been printed incorrectly and we have to go back once more and suffer the headache that is immigration.

My husband was there this week trying to get the mistake- made by immigration,corrected. Firstly he was asked by the staff to help translate for someone - which he did for an hour. Then when they got to him they said they didn't have time to deal with our case and to come back. He stood his ground and politely pointed out that he had been helping them and he would now appreciate their help. He did leave with one corrected FM3 for one child which now only leaves 2 outstanding. The nightmare continues.

Sorry to rant but I feel better getting that off my chest.
    Tracey

3. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what was the printing error?

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Printing errors are a regular occurance. They screwed up my address on one and on others they wrote the incorrect birthdate.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They typed my name wrong on my FM3 and then WHITED IT OUT! Bunch of screw-ups...of course the whole process should use computers but right now only part of their system is computerized.

6. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    can a retirement fm3 be renewed at the consulate in the USA?

7. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately no. Renewals have to be done in Mexico.

8. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's my experience so far with getting the FM3 from a consulate in the U.S. and then registering it in Cancun:

Getting FM3 from consulate in Minnesota: Efficient, quick, pleasant experience.

Registering it in Cancun: Aarrgghh!!!

Since the FM3 was already and approved and granted, I expected an easier/quicker process in simply registering it in Cancun. I've only made 3 trips to Immigration so far, which isn't bad compared to some stories I've heard, but most of those cases are full applications/renewals.

Trip #1 to Immigration: Stood in line forever to get a number to be able to wait in waiting area for my number to be called and to speak with an immigration officer. In the line to get a number I was given a list of all documents I needed to register the FM3, plus one form that needed to be filled out to start the process. Me: Can I get a number and fill out the form while I wait? Immigration: No. Me: Can I go outside and fill out the form and come back to this line and get another number after I've completed it so I can do it today? Immigration: No, you have to come back another day. Me: grrrrrrr

Trip #2 to Immigration: All documents on the list collected (pretty much the same things Canuck listed in an earlier post), with more copies than I could possibly need, including a form that was on the list but that they hadn't given me on the first visit but that I found on the internet and the photos that need to be turned in with the form. I was thinking "This is going to be easy.... I've got everything they asked for and then some...." I stood in line to get a number, told her I had everything on the list, got a number, waited for my number to be called, talked to immigration agent and showed her I had everything on the list. She didnt take one of the forms (the one I found on the internet - it's the one that requires photos, which I already had, and a physical description), saying I was to turn that one in on my next visit, and to come back in one week. Fine. I was thinking things were going well and I'd get my FM3 back one week later...

Trip #3, one week later: I arrive back with my previously filled out form and the black and white photos, get in line to get a number. In the line to get a number the lady gave me a blank form of the form already filled out and in my hand. Me: I already have this form filled out. I had it filled out on my last visit. Immigration: This appointment was to pick up this form. Me (politely): I had to come back a week later to pick up a form that I already had? And you needed a week to do so? Immigration: Yes. Me: Why? Immigration: That's the process. Come back in two and 1/2 weeks with the completed form. Me: You mean the form I've had completed since my last visit? Immigration: Yes. Me: Grrrrrr

So I am hoping that when I return in two weeks it will be the fingerprinting appointment and I will get my FM3 back. But who knows....

Also, I may need to travel U.S. before then. Has anyone successfully asked immigration to speed things up due to travel plans?

9. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FM3 Blues

Went to immigration for our 9:30 appointment. Got in at 10:00 where we put our thumbprints on blank FM3 books.

As far as I can tell, all they need to do now is type our information on to the pages. We thought we would just wait for them..but they say they won't be done that until May 8 at the earliest!

Seems like an awful long time and the late date interferes with our travel plans. I guess we will try returning in a few days to see if we can speed up the process.

I really thought once my thumb was blue I would have my FM3. No such luck. Sigh.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That sucks, the two FM3s that I've been a part of acquiring (mine and my daughter's) were both issued the same day as the thumbprints were taken. So I'm surprised it's taking so long for you. But maybe it's all the upheaval, that office is in chaos right now personnel-wise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice