FM 3 documents

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok thanks a lot for the help! :lol:

2. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Relaciones Exteriores have nothing to do with immigration, and actually... they don't really like each other.

They are on Nader near Kukulkan (what is the name after Bonampak?). You can do it from Cancun, it costs first like 1300 pesos, and some day, after 6 months or so, you receive a letter asking for more money (about 1600 if I remember well), THAT MEANS YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED. So unless you go to jail or other bad thing, you will get it, just wait. I retrieved mine in Mexico City because.... well, some people have been bad with me, and Migracion could kick me out, although I was perfectly legal, but you know their moods! So I got it faster there, just before I had to renew my FM2 (and possibly refused).

They are all extremely nice and helpful, in Cancun as well in DF.

Whether you inform Migracion or not, they are officially informed by RE.

I know it is easier to get it from Residency than marriage, which is illogical, but... Mexico!

3. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok, that helps a lot.
    It's much cheaper than I thought it would be. Bearing in mind the fm2 is now about $2500pesos paid in one go.
    I'll definately do it when i get the renewal through (touch wood I do)!
    Thanks for the help guys.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You gals are way outta my league but I was told by a friend who has been living in Mexico for right at 10 years, that after 5 you get the FM-2 and after 5 more, a total of 10, you can apply for citizenship.

Are we talking manzanas y manzanas here? Or am I just tonto? Or both?

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J., I had always thought the same thing but you can skip the whole FM2 thing according to the SRE website. You just need proof of residency for five continuous years.

http://www.sre.gob.mx/tramites/nacionalidad/tema1c.htm

I will be applying for having a Mexican born child, but there is a stipulation there that says you need to have lived here continuously for 2 years (not a problem for me, Max turned 2 yesterday and I have been here longer than that!)

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gracias. My friend is a known liar anyway. LOL. Just kidding.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm just going by what I am reading, you know how things change! I do know that there is some friction between immigration and SRE so they probably don't want you to get citizenship when they can have you on the hook to pay for your FM2 for five more years.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - If you go with an FM3 first you can skip the FM2 thing and go straight to citizenship. If you have no Desire to be a Mexican citizen but will be staying here an FM2 is better. Eventually with an FM2 you can get to the place where you have something like Permanent Residency and don't have to go back to INM and renew anything anymore. But being a citizen gives you even more rights than having that permanent residency-alike status.

I know I researched this and posted it a while ago. I'll dig through the archive when I have a few minutes.

Initially someone at INM told me to go with an FM3 and then become a citizen. And this was before hubby worked you know where. So I've never gotten the impression of bad blood between RE and INM. In fact I'll bet everyone in INM wishes that there were simply fewer immigrants to deal with, it would make their lives easier if we all became citizens.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But that would make sense! So would forming a proper line at the farmacy in walmart!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice