FM 3 documents

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Apr 10, 2007.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,
    I just put my renewal application in for my FM3 and had a fairly painless process because I had all my ducks in a row. I go back next week to check on the status, but I don't foresee any problems. I thought I would post a list of the documents that I provided for what they considered a complete package. Newbies, keep in mind that it seems every case is different and it varies depending on your employer, your previous status and the type of FM3 you are getting. I am on a "no immigrante visitante" visa, supported by my employer. I made three complete copies of the package and they only took one but I like to be prepared.

Here's what my package included:

1. Original passport and copies of all pages
    2. My FM3 and copies of all pages
    3. A letter from me, in Spanish, requesting the renewal
    4. A letter from my employer
    5. Comprobante de domicilio (this is a receipt of a service provided to my house with the address, I used my electric bill, they will also accept telephone or water but not cable for some reason), it is used as proof of residency
    6. A letter from my husband saying that I "rent" from him (this is only necessary if the comprobante is not in your own name)
    7. Original and copy of husband's voter card (again, only necessary if the proof of residence is not in your name, this could be a letter from a roommate or landlord)
    8. My son's Mexican birth certificate, original and copy (this was "extra bonus" documentation that they did include, they had recommended that I bring it)
    9. The completed application form provided by immigration and a copy

So there you go, that's what I used for what appears to be another successful renewal. If I come back next week crying, I will revise this post, lol! Hope this might be helpful to some, boring for others I am sure. No apostilles, no financial info, nothing more was necessary since it was supported by my employer. Also keep in mind that it seems for all NEW FM3's, they are requiring a Spanish test AND I discovered that some folks, even native speakers, have been required to pass an English test. It was weird to see a group of Canadians who work for Sunquest taking an English test at my place of employment. I talked to these people and they were all up for renewals but had been asked to be tested. Seems kind of lame to me, but just smile and nod to the nice immigration people. :D

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck Kel,

Hum. So the gov't thinks immigrants should speak the native language. What a novel idea. In the south Florida they have bilingual street signs, driver's license tests, voting info, etc. in both English and Spanish.

I could not pass the test myself but force myself to pick learn something every day. Damn my ex g/f who wanted to work on her Ingles all the time, delaying my Spanish education. But it's my own fault I suppose.

3. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good Luck Kelly,
    They were the exact same papers I gave in at the end of March and supposedly mine is 'still in revision'. Although when I called on Monday they said they had a massive backlog so I am hoping that's the reason and nothing else.
    My friend has been waiting for hers for ages (although this was an aplication not a renewal) - she is going to work in the kids club at a hotel and they asked the hotel to prove she spoke Spanish and also mumbled something about school certificates and apostilles. The hotel reckon they can sort it out for her though so she's still waiting.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems that Cancun immigration is in a "NO" mode, when it comes to handing out visas lately. I know several people who have been here for years, whom have had their renewals denied or have been getting the run around for more papers every few weeks, instead of a renewal. One of them is married with two Mexican kids, and they ordered him to leave within 90 days last month. I am also hearing rumors about these language test requirements and college degree demands for new FM3's. I haven't had to deal with them yet this year, but I don't look at all forward to it, based on what I am seeing. After reading the immigration law, I am pretty sure that they cant legally ask that you pass language test, unless it is specific to a job you intend to hold, but then again, they don't "need" a reason to say "NO". I can understand the logic behind the "requirement", but it still doesn't sit well with me, especially when you figure in the hypocrisy of it all. Not to mention, I don't know if I would be able to pass said test.

5. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know what you mean. This time last year, I tried to renew my fm3 for the 5th time and just like that it was denied. In fact my fm3 was cancelled and I was given 16 days to leave the country.
    I went to Belize and managed to go through a friend of a friend and not lose the years I had on the fm3 to obtain an fm2. They had asked me for my school certificate as well which is strange as I had been in the same job all the 5 years and had no trouble renewing it before.
    I am also changing my civil status as the moment and thought it would make it easier - guess not after hearing your story!
    I have to call them back today and see what's going on, wish me luck!

6. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck, Jen, and all.

The more I read the requirements, hassle and abuse, the happier I am to have asked for my citizenship. NO MORE INM!!!

You can get it after 5 years in Cancun, FM3, FM2 or whatever, just fill in a form saying how much you love Mexico, the culture, the people etc... I got mine in 11 months, and at the Relaciones Exteriores, they are very nice and helpful.

When I arrived, I couldn't pass any Spanish test. I learned very quickly, and that helps when you have to "negociate" with whatever organisation. Wonder WHY they do all that. They want everyone going away, or nobody coming anymore? With what money will they live?

7. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the good luck!
    I called again yesterday and they told me to call again on Wednesday. My next step will be to apply for citizenship. I was going to wait until it expries next year but I know it takes ages so I might apply in the new year.
    Silly question, what is Relaciones Exteriores, is this a part of imigration?
    What were the requirements they asked you for and if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you?
    Thanks, I appreciate any info.
    Jen

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good luck Jen, now I am scared!

As for the citizenship, "relaciones exteriores" are NOT related to immigration and from all I have heard, they are actually NICE and fairly easy to deal with. I have been told that I need a full year on my FM3 to make the application, so if you are able, I would apply as soon as your FM3 is approved. It has also been suggested to me that you do not mention to immigration that you plan on doing this (power struggles, blah blah blah).

They also have a website that is accurate and up to date and easy to use. Here's the link to citizenship..... http://www.sre.gob.mx/tramites/nacionalidad/default.htm

They have a list of prices and they are different in every situation.

Good luck!

9. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Kelly,
    That's really helpful. Although I have just been reading through it. If I want to apply for citizenship because I have married a Mexican, I have to have been married for two years.
    I suppose I could make the applicatin with the reason 'for residency' then they only ask for proof of the 5 years which i have already.
    I guess I have to go to Mexico City to give in the initial papers, is that what you did Jenleib?

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You don't have to go to DF to file for citizenship, there's an office on Nader. And Jen, sounds like you already qualify based on time here, so don't wait until you've been married two years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice