Flying out of DETROIT w/Northwest ???????

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ELLABEAR424, Apr 28, 2007.

1. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well that is something that I never knew.
    I just have such a hard time with that big thing getting off the ground.
    Once I am up there, I am somewhat ok. Or that could be my medicine kicking in. HMMM :?
    But the take off is what scares the BeJesus out of me.

Whatcha got to say about that??? :)

EB

2. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I won't deny it, the 2 most dangerous times in any flight are (just as you imagine) take off and landing - and of the 2, landing requires the greater skill.

(Take off would be, except that it's gotten to the point where it's pretty difficult to stall it with lift due to the design restrictions, so that leaves landing.)

Landings can be a pain because of unseen downdrafts, icy conditions, or crosswinds. But these things don't happen in Cancun without them being obvious, so they can be prepared and compensated for. And it's not like Midway where if you run out of runway, you hit somebody's house!

Like it or not, you are going to get there safely and return in almost the same condition (less some number of fully functioning brain cells, of course - but we only use 1/10 of our brains anyway [some use less, I think!], so chances are - no one will even notice).

Your job on this mission is to have fun -- There are those whose job it is to see to it that you come back to Cancun each and every year to spend your hard earned cash -- leave the worrying to them -- after all, they get paid for it.

PS If you ever decide to make it down for Xmas or New Years, shoot me a note before you go.

C 'ya :lotsofmichaelf:

3. ELLABEAR424

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like it or not, you are going to get there safely and return in almost the same condition

I like it - I like it a lot!!!!!!!

Well Damn Mr. Airplane Man,
    Thanks for all the info. I actually do feel a little better.
    I have never had anyone explain things like that before. :D
    Everyone always says, You are safer in a plane than in a car!!!!! :evil:
    That does not help me.

Anyways thanks again.
    EB
    [/b]

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it really depends on whose car we're talking about.
    Not mine, I'm pretty sure of that.

You're very welcome.

5. JayFab

JayFab Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got back last week and flew Northwest from Saginaw to Detroit then straight to Cancun and had no problems whatsoever. The flight back was on an airbus and again, no problems.

6. ELLABEAR424

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad to hear that. I wondered where the Michigan Folks were??? :D
    So your flight left as scheduled?

Where did you stay?

7. JayFab

JayFab Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We left a bit late out of Saginaw as they had a problem with the walkway to the plane so we had to board outside. But the flight was nice and uneventful! :lol: both to Detroit and Cancun. The plane from Detroit to Cancun actually left a bit early.

We stayed at the ME.

8. ELLABEAR424

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My mother is coming up here from TN because the flights from her area are WAY too high $$ and long waits between stops. She is pushing 70 and that will be too much for her.

So I take it that you probably got in to Cancun at about 9.
    Did you have to wait for your room getting in that early :?:

I don't think I have ever gotten in that early. Seems like I usually got there around 3.

9. davissummer24

davissummer24 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My last trip to Cancun I flew Northwest direct from Detroit to Cancun. The outgoing flight there was a problem finding someone to back us up so we left about 30 min late. I don't like the fact they don't call rows anymore either so everyone was trying to get their carryons put a way at the same time. My big problem was the return flight. Arrived about 7pm Detroit time. We waited for about 45 minutes after landing because they didn't have anyone to attach the little stairs thingy do to the plane. Huh? What? Pilot got on the speaker and even said he called the tower 3 times and no one had arrived. Then we finally get the thingy do hooked up and the flight attendants tell us that there's no one at customs so we have to wait another 30 minutes for them to find someone to process us.Maybe the customs thing wasn't their fault but this is their hub. They obviously didn't coordinate with the customs staff. I got a great deal so I won't say never again but... I'm flying Continental from Cleveland this time. Oh btw Spirit Air direct from Detroit is awesome

10. ELLABEAR424

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know if Northwest routinely Overbooks/Over sells flights?
    Sorry I do not know the correct reference.

Anyways
    when I was selecting my seats, there were not that many left and then I went to another site and it said that there were many seats left.

Should I plan on getting to the airport super early, to be sure I really get a seat??

I have never had that experience but I have heard other people complain about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice