Flamingo **** AI/EP

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Dad was just there last week, and he had no complaints. He didn't do All Inclusive as he was only at the hotel to sleep. He did say the crowd that was there, a mix of spring breakers and an middle aged crowd seemed to be having a really good time. He is a non smoker and was worried about getting a stinky room, but I think he said the whole resort is smoke free. Don't quote that. He had no complaints about cleanliness or a bad bed.

2. CAPTandJD

CAPTandJD Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We were there last April with a group of 8. The hotel was GREAT, but if you are expecting 5 star, check that at the door or you will be disappointed. The rooms were clean and very nice. If you can, get one of the junior suites- they are definitely worth it. The view is amazing and the semi-private patio is a plus. The drinks were not strong, but that made it easy to drink all day without getting too trashed. The breakfast buffet is awesome (be sure to try the pico and the salsa verde with avocado in it!), the pool food and restaurant down by the beach were great for lunch (get the guac!), the dinner buffet was so-so, but with what you are spending, you can afford to go out somewhere else for dinner and not feel bad about it! The staff was friendly. Pedro was in charge of activities and did a good job. For what you are paying to go all-inclusive here, it is well worth it.

Feel free to contact me on here if you have any questions!

3. Razor

Razor Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    I just booked the Flamingo, my 9th trip to Cancum, first stay at the Flamingo. What time do the Flamingo bars close? My friends are mainly going to drink, so if they close before midnight we'll need a plan B.

4. CAPTandJD

CAPTandJD Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They close EARLY- the lobby bar is the last one to close, and they are only open until midnight. Start making plan B! There is a Margaritaville directly across the street and the bigger clubs were not too far of a walk.

5. ChrisnCancun

ChrisnCancun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, we just got back from the Flamingo Cancun. We did a all inclusive 6 night stay. When we got there I got the upgrade to a ocean view room for 100.00. This is considered a 2/3 star resort and I was impressed with it for the most part.

Check in- went smooth, no big problems here.

Rooms- The rooms were clean and decent. Yes the beds were a bit hard but not too bad. Our air conditioning was working but not really cold, I was a little uncomfortable and night since I like it on the cold side. (watch out for the maid turning your air down or completely off after every time she cleans) The bathroom was ok and suited our needs. The balcony was very nice and the view was amazing. The drawers on the dresser are cheap and really sucked but so what, it worked. BTW we were in room 214.

Pools--- The main pool was great. It was kept clean and there was several activities through out the day. The pool bar/grill was good and the workers were friendly. The other pool is kinda in a weird location but it is secluded from everything else and is a nice getaway if thats what you like.

Bars---- There is a good pool bar, the drinks are ok a little hit or miss sometimes though. If you like black licorice try the Diristi on the rocks, its sweet but not too bad. The Margaritas were good and the rum punch wasn't bad either. this bar closes at 6 pm.
    There is also a lobby bar, it stays open until midnight drinks here are the same as the other 2 bars. Then there is the Albatros bar, same as the other two but with a much better view. I think it closed around 8 pm?

Food----
    Breakfast- contrary to what others have said on here I found breakfast to be my least favorite meal. It was decent and the omelets were very good but the variety was smaller than I expected. All in all it was still a good meal and I was happy to have it.

Lunch-- your options for lunch was the lunch buffet,the pool grill and the Albatros restaurant.
    The pool grill had excellent hamburgers, ( they also had hotdogs nachos and french fries)
    The lunch buffet was ok and changed it up about every day with something different.
    The Albatros had a great lunch menu and it was different all the time.

Dinner---
    The dinner buffet. This is where I was pleasantly surprised. The dinner buffet was different every night we were there. I was very happy with the quality and really enjoyed eating there.
    The only other place to eat dinner was the albatros. They had good food every time we ate there and the dinner menu was never the same twice while we were there.

All in all the food was a little better than I expected.

Tip--- there is a GREAT little taco stand just down the road from the Flamingo ( a block or two to the south, ocean side) named Habanero's. It's very cheap and the food is great. Mario the owner is a great guy that speaks fluent English and will fix you up something special if you ask him to. Tell him Chris and Jackie said hi!

The resort was kept clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. It is a small resort though and you should not expect to get the amenities that are offered at larger 5 star resorts. If you keep that in mind I think you will enjoy yourself, after all you are not spending 5 star money for this place. It is well worth the price.

If I had one major gripe it would be that it need to have a tiki bar on the beach. If you decide to spend your day on the beach be prepared to walk at least 300 yards to go get your drinks. As a result of this there was almost no one enjoying the beach much while we were there. But dont let this or other bad reviews scare you off, it was a very good place for the money.

Chris

6. kristinanddoug

kristinanddoug Cancun Party Expert Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I have stayed at the Flamingo Cancun five times, from 2005 to 2008, if anyone wants to know something, feel free to ask. My wife and I now spend a bit more money and stay at nicer hotels. We enjoyed our run at Flamingo though, always had a great ocean view room with private balcony, always got treated like we were VIP's by the bartenders, never got sick, enjoyed most of the food there. But we came to a point where we didn't feel like clubbing all night, and with the lobby bar closing at midnight, we needed to go hotels that had more options for nightlife contained within the hotel itself. So the bottom line is, if you just want a place to party all day/evening, and you are going to go clubbing every night, then Flamingo is probably your best bet. Our biggest complaint over the years was the rock hard beds, they are a back killer. The last 3 times we went we packed a king size air mattress and put it on top of the bed and it worked great, takes up a lot of suitcase space though. Here is a pic of the volleyball pool bar:
    [​IMG]

7. Margarita Mom

Margarita Mom Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sandra Roja

We have stayed at the Flamingo for over ten years, we have recently heard that they have had a lot of staff changes and Sandra Roja is no longer there, is this true?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice