fixers notaries etc..

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by canukcun, Sep 23, 2013.

1. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been doing it here for 12 years, without a lawyer, and never run into more than just annoyances. Believe me, I'm not a cheerleader for INM, but they've never done worse than just annoy me with time consuming crap.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats great Tristan, but my point was proven again: "me"(as in you) have had zero issues. However, there are those less lucky, so to speak.

What I reacted to was V´s way of listing reasons/excuses for people to let a lawyer handle their cases, yet leaving out the factor that INM still is one of the most corrupt institutions of the Mexican govt.

Its not black and white, ie: "Its gone great for me = therefore its the same for everyone". :)

Ive been lucky in other areas, where foreign friends have had major issues.

3. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Of course there's no way to really know why some people have major problems and some just hassles and annoyances, but, could it be partly the applicant's fault? Why is it that some of us go many years without any real problems and others don't? Do we blame it all on INM? Again, I am not a fan of theirs, but I do feel the current agents are much friendlier and helpful than in the past. The bottleneck isn't their fault.Its the fault of administrators, so I just hold it in when I get really upset about the process. I don't think corruption has anything to do with my annoyances. Do you think they have it out for some people or what? What corruption are you referring to? Do they get paid to screw up some people's applications? For my part, it's just imcompetence on administrators' part. That's pretty much just a third world thing. Just look at how they build streets around here. I think they have a dartboard to make those decisions.

4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tristan: In my case, the lady that handled my case quit/got fired. When she left, my case got lost. (You´d have to ask INM how they manage to lose something thats on both paper AND in their digital system...)

To cut the story short: When I confronted INM, they told me "we dont even have your case, its not been registered.". Well, good thing my trust for Govt agencies is as low as it is and that I thus made print screens of my online file, with all important numbers, steps etc. The issue was resolved on the very same day(some 20 mins!) before I would have lost my years from 2007 till 2012. One lady even had a letter ready for me to sign, where I "acknowledge voluntary deportation".

They refused to apologize, acknowledge the fact that I DID have an online file(ie: print outs, paper copies etc.).

I can swallow all this since it was resolved in the nick of time, but my opinion of INM and their staff(with a couple of exceptions) have not changed since 2007, when, the first day I handed in my first ever application, they asked for money in hand.

I had the pleasure of meeting the "new" delegado(is that the word Im after?) as he works closely with two friends of mine. He has had to "adjust" the Cancun office not only once but twice, cleaning out over 14 staff(first time) whom have had severe accusations(their cases are/were(?) with PROFECO as well) against them. Mostly it seems to involve Central Americans, Cubans and to some extent, Argentinians. Cant really type out all the details I got to hear about, but some made me drop my jaw and some felt more "average".

Back to the point: Its a fact that not everyone is treated equally when dealing with INM(or other Govt agencies). I doubt it is in any country of the world. Recently, Immigration back home(Sweden) have had some issues with corruption, this in a country that always ranks top 5-ish and supposedly has "no corruption"...

So, again, and forever: Just because "person A and B" have sailed through it, doesnt mean "person C through Z" will do the same.

I refuse to give bribes and will refuse to do so. Not because I want to "change the world", but because it would be really silly of me to complain about corruption and contribute to the very same. INM asked for cash in hand on several occasions "back in the day". I refused to pay = my case never moved forward, until calling the main office in DF, who also told me "sometimes we have to bring fire to correct them" about Cancun. They were helpful enough to both push one of my application and, in writing, warn the idiot that handled that particular case of mine. :)

Anyways, the only thing I reacted to was V´s way of putting it when listing reasons why people hire others(pros) to handle it all.

I read it kind of like: "Human bad, Gvt good." ;) Believe it or not: INM staff commit errors - be they on purpose or not.

5. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess my wife and I are lucky, since both of us have just met with annoyance and frustration, plenty of it, and the agents the last two years have been very nice, except for one snotty kid that practically called me a liar and I had bring back proof and put him in his place. He's gone, now.

In 12 years, neither of us has ever been asked for a bribe. Do you think they pick on some people? Nothing has ever been lost, either. We're talking about 12 years for both us, not just an anecdote. That's a lot of years and a lot of administrations. Merida's INM office is a dream. I got my visa in two weeks and was given a phone number to call to see if it was ready.

We've dealt with immigration in Cuba, the U.S. and Mexico for years. The U. S. was probably the worst. In the U.S. , we had to be there at 5am, even in winter, to get in line, then, they would let in just so many, and tell the rest to come back tomorrow. They finally went to internet appointments. They failed to note our change of address, which we turned in 5 times, and canceled her migratory status. She had to start all over again.

6. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tristan: No clue what they would be looking for when sticking wooden poles in someones front-wheel.

I was told about "file marking" back in 2008, where, if they feel like it, the staff can see who is not on the plus side and thus easily can delay things by "displacing" the marked files.

My last one was going smoothly enough, until "my lady" got canned/left(?) INM. Thats when "Hell, part 3" kicked in gear.

I was amazed that even with both original papers AND print outs, they still kept to their story that I had "never submitted the application on time". I have to admire their stubbornness, even though it was used in a negative sense ;)

Other than INM and a couple of dirty cops, Ive been lucky during my years in Mexico. Many that I know have not.

Id love to find out what happened behind the scenes with my case - really curious about that one :)

Now I just started my, hopefully, last ever interaction with INM.Ill celebrate like there is no tomorrow if/when I get my Perm Residency, hehe :)

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good luck with that, Rawkus!

8. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just happened upon this post.

What arrogance and condescension is displayed in this post!

As someone who must be in "the cult" since we have used Mauricio ever since our first time consuming experience going through the INM BS back in 2008 by ourselves, I find the above rant offensive and completely out of line.

You have no idea why someone may chose to use Mauricio or anyone else to assist them at INM as each individual's reason is unique and personal.

Bravo for you that you are versed enough in both Spanish and Mexican Immigration Laws to do all this by yourself. It is kind of you to share your wealth of knowledge with those of us with whom you seemingly perceive to have lesser abilities should we choose to use legal assistance...

As to this observation,
    have you ever bothered to wonder why so many great and informative posters have departed from this Forum? Maybe you can guess!

9. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe some of us choose to do it ourselves because we have thicker skins, as evidenced in this post. The agents mostly speak pretty good English and I would assume that in 5 years you would have picked up a bit of Spanish and become familiar with the INM system, so, I really don't see that as a reason. The real real reason must be that you just don't want to mess with it. Personally, I've met a lot of people in line and had some wonderful conversations. However I'm still glad to be done with it forever. Now, I need to move to another country and start over.

Actually, I think this forum rocks. It's a great source of information.

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'll ignore the personal attack, Mole, which those dearly departed you speak of used to regularly engage in on this forum. Perhaps you wish to revive it as a feature here, rather than practice it elsewhere.

You missed the point of my comment and considered it addressed not just to those who have promoted the cult of belief I spoke of, but also to those who choose to use Mauricio Mendoza for legal help, such as you and me. In that, you were wrong, as well as abusive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice