fixers notaries etc..

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by canukcun, Sep 23, 2013.

1. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of fixers or people who are in the know or handle the application visa process. I'm wondering for two reasons, first in the event I reach my 180 days (is this per calendar year, or 365 continuous days?), I'm interested in a equivalent to the fm3, and also since I have a work offer, and I'm only interested in legal work, I will need to go to INM to start looking into the process. From what I understand under the new rules I will need to go back to Canada to apply for the visa from the consulate in Canada, and this cannot be done locally?

Anyone know of a good point to look into this, and what type of markup for the handler could be in terms of cost?

related does anyone know if it i legal to go to job interviews while on a tourist visa? or to apply for a job while in mexico while only in mexico on a tourist visa

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Lots of perfectly reasonable questions. I'll see if I can handle any of them.

Under current law, you could leave and reenter at the end of your 180 days given you when you entered; and, you can do this repeatedly, indefinitely. A short holiday to Belize could get the job done for you by staying, say, three days there. The bus ride, one way, is about 600 pesos, and takes just over 6 hours. Although there is no period of time you must stay abroad that is written into the law, you'll probably be hassled less if you do more than just exit, then attempt to immediately reenter Mexico.
    You're well informed. You would need a solid job offer from an organization that has permission to hire foreigners: they would then have to apply to INM for the issuance of a visa abroad, giving you permission to take the job, and then you could apply for this visa, abroad.

Perfectly acceptable, as a practical matter.

Many have used Mauricio Mendoza, who typically charges about $3,000 pesos. Also, there is a group of lawyers across the street from the INM offices who do tons of these cases for modest fees. I could get you more information if you'd like to contact them. They assisted my neighbor when she recently applied for permanent residency.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. canukcun

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Sure just pm me the info, and I'll follow up if you are willing.

I'm also wondering if you can register an equivolent of a sole proprietorship for example a budget english tutoring / conversation activity etc.. and work in your business. I am geussing this is complex. I just sense there is a demand for low cost english enrichment for people who are seeking to improve their english as it seems some people who want to improve their english, just don't have the money value for places like IH for English classes. Perhaps the market is already saturated. None the less for some reason I've been interested in offering budget tutoring, and essentially free conversation and support.

Words on this are also welcome if you have any.

There are a lot of people in Cancun that don't speak English, but I have the sense many do want to improve their English.

Since I don't need to make money in mexico to live in Mexico, I feel like this sort of activity will be winwin for everyone. I'd like to advance my profession with experience rather than just sitting back like a pig in ish.

4. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is 180 continuous days. Be careful. It isn't 6 months. It's 180 days. You can go to Belize and renew, but be careful. You first have to go pay the tax....$25USD I believe. You should pay that in Cancun before you go down there. You can simply cross into Belize and return without spending any time down there, but they charge you $100USD for the service...under the table , of course. They won't negotiate it,either. The woman asked me, "You don't think you can just come into my country and get a stamp and leave, do you?". I felt like saying, "No, I fully expect to pay a bribe, first", but it doesn't pay to backtalk. They're fairly rude. Course, it's easier than returning to Canada.

I assume that since the visa process now has to be initiated abroad, most of the heavy lifting is done by the time you get here and you won't need a lawyer, IMHO. This is the way I got my entry visa 11 years ago and all I did once I got here was register my address, locally.

5. canukcun

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Hmm I didn't realize that you could just renew for another 180, so basically you can stay in mexico ongoing on a fmm tourist visa, didn't realize it places like the US have a maximum stay per year. Thought Mexico might be the same.

Apparently you can start the application process online for the visa, however if you have an interview in person you would need to go to the consulate, you have to go the consulate to personally pick it up apparently when it is finished if approved.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Officially approved, self-employment is an option in Mexico. That's how I got started, nearly four years ago, and now it's even more clearly written into the law, and the online forms, as an option.

I applied with tons of documentation, certified and apostilled, showing my experience and credentials as a teacher. I have no idea how little one could show and still get approval. You'd just have to try it, and see what happens; or, rely on a lawyer's opinion of your chances of success, if you applied.

Again, it seems to me you're well informed. Getting a temporary residence visa for the first time involves, for most, trips to a consulate or embassy abroad, followed by trips to the local INM offices, once they get to Mexico, to complete the process.

Tristan is right about not needing a lawyer, and the vast majority of people do it themselves; but, many people find the process daunting, as too confusing or physically and psychologically challenging, and end up seeking assistance.

Just for clarity I'd like to comment that once you have the job offer, the next steps are up to your prospective employer, who must get permission to hire you, and request that a visa be issued for you, abroad, to enable you to enter Mexico to work.

Once the INM has communicated its approval to the consulate or embassy, you can then travel there to apply for the visa, which has already been approved, and is in effect just waiting to be picked up. This stage is quick, typically, taking just two days or so. If it were me, I'd try to avoid returning home until the consulate or embassy personnel had assured me they had received notice that the issuance of a visa had been approved by the INM. Exchanges of emails, every two weeks or so, should be sufficient to get this assurance prior to traveling.

This is not an option for people who object, for any reason, to paying bribes (my objection is based mainly on promotion of good governance grounds, which paying bribes undermines). It just means that in a case like this I'd be applying that $100 to three nights in a guesthouse in Belize, getting acquainted with another country, and culture.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  7. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems like getting pre approved in your own country would make a lawyer here, for wrapping it up at INM, hardly necessary. Most of the agents there seem to speak enough English, anyway.

As for Belize, it's not like you're going to change the way things work in Latin America by not paying one bribe. Besides, I have no Desire to spend 3 days and nights in |Belize, and it would certainly cost more than $100USD. I haven't exactly heard great things about security in Beize, either. My principles were high on the list in the 60's. The "path of least resistance" is higher on my list,now. I'll have to admit, I don't pay bribes to cops in Cancun since I found out how easy it is to go pay a fine thats lower than the bribe.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I, and most of those who go through the processes of immigration at INM Cancun, agree with you, Tristan, and handle everything themselves; but, a significant minority of Gringos find it too confusing, too much bother, too time consuming, or too annoying to do it themselves. My wife is the perfect example. She would never set foot in that office that I didn't tell her it was necessary, for me to be able to complete the next step for her!

There is another factor, too, less obvious, but potent, which is at work in the dynamic here. There is a faction who, mainly for personal reasons, like to promote the idea that the INM is a monster and that the only path for reasonable people to take is to hire Mauricio Mendoza. It has been an effective campaign, good for his business, and providing something of a psychological reward for its promoters. Something approaching a cult of belief has been built up around these two themes, which many subscribe to. It was in place when I arrived here, over four years ago, and is still being promoted by those who were promoting it then.

This cult is not so much in evidence on this forum, any more.

9. tristan1749

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But you seem to keep by passing the fact that newcomers do most of the application back home, now. I'm not talking about those who are already here. For them, the process will be just as painstaking. Actually, though, I find the process, now, to take just as long as ever, but I find the people at INM a lot more pleasant and helpful. It's not their fault the process stinks. Years back, the agents seemed to enjoy my pain.

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ...or the fact that someone in INM f*cks up ones application, to the point where one is one day from losing all the years gathered since 2007... ;)

Believe it or not V, but there are still really unhelpful people within the system that is INM. Its not always the "fault" of the person who´s applying ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice