Fishing

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Jun 26, 2013.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where is good for fishing in Cancun (where you won't get hassled by cops or something) and what do you use for bait?

Rawkus?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Likewise!

Thinking probably not much opportunity in Cancun itself. Would like to fish off jetties or rocks into deepish water. For, jetties maybe somewhere like Isla Blanca or Puerto Morelos?

Rocks, I dont know anywhere.

Not too fussed about the lagoon, unless anyone knows any great places.

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys :)

I usually fish up at Isla Blanca nowadays, ocean side(lagoon during high tide can be fun as well!)

If in the HZ, I make it all the way to the inlet close to Wet n Wild. Not sure if its called Punta Calinda or thats the bridge at KM4, sorry.

I used to fish off the concrete pier(or whatever its supposed to be) behind The City nightclub. Caught some very decent sized fish including a couple of HUGE barracudas.

For bait I use lizettas(mullet) that I either buy from fishermen in Pto Juarez or in the supermarket.

If you can get your hands on some "sardinas", they are great as bait! They sometimes sell them in Pto Juarez as well - just ask for them as bait (carnada).

Never really had any issues with cops when fishing. Scared that they would want to steal my rods etc, but so far they've only seemed mesmerized by a "gringo" fishing amongst locals, haha.

4. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The little I know about fishing is that you can't fish off the beach between the hours of 9-5, anytime after that is fine (apparently). A friend of mine fishes and he goes down onto the rocks at Forum beach at night. When that beach access was open and porto cancun (in front of that massive condo, about half way in between Puerto Juarez and the first beach access in the hotel zone) I saw tons of people fishing off the big stone pier. You could always park in Puerto Juarez before the port and walk down till you get there. No rocks at Isla blanca that I've seen but the lagoon on the left is meant to have some of the best fly fishing in the world with a possible 'grand-slam' achievable (something random about four fish in one day). Otherwise your best bet is to hire a boat, they do fishing trips on Laguna Manati for a few hundred pesos, just be careful what you pull out the water! No if your serious about going one day, i'd love to try the Marlin fishing, I can try and get Ingrid to ask about a good price from the port where the Sea Passion leaves, I've always wanted to go, maybe a few of us could chip in and make it a reasonable price, beers included etc.

5. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a former fishing guide in the Florida Keys, I can relate that the fishing in Isla is excellent......but expensive, even if you can get to know a guide (as I did) and fish off the books. Most guides work for one of the outfitters and they charge almost US prices.

In Isla with a guide, you can expect to catch bonefish (macabi), permit (palometta) and tarpon (sabalo). There is your often talked about grand slam.....those three caught in the same day. In addition and more on a seasonal basis, there are snook (robalo) and snapper (pargo). I think in Winter, they also catch the occasional seatrout. (trucha).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice