First Timers.....

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by michl, Mar 8, 2007.

1. michl

michl Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    to Cancun that is :wink:
    We are going 4/7 - 4/14 and staying at the Royal Sands...provided we get our passports on time.
    This forum is great and I've been doing tons of looking around...couple of questions:

1. Airport Transportation: Any recommendations? We will be getting there at 7 p.m., and I know I most likely will want a private van...I'm thinking Brent's for this? I've heard of Cancun Valet and Thomas Moore. Any suggestions?

2. Opinions on the 2 for 1 card.....Looks great....thinking of getting that.

3. Shall I exchange money here in the states...maybe some? and I'm guessing there are places to do this anywhere down there?

We are basically looking for beach and relaxing...we like snorkeling. Any other ideas you can give are appreciated.....it's just hubby and me going...so no skin kids......

I'ma getting excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, any input on the Royal Sands?

Thanks in advance!

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome first timers!
    Wow, you picked a great place for your first visit, the Sands is a top notch place. My hubby works there, but I am speaking from a "tourist" POV as my family always stays at one of the Royals. You are going to love it! Spacious suites, huge balconies, incredible pools and the use of the other four resorts with a free shuttle between them. The onsite grocery store is well stocked and reasonably priced. I can't say enough good things about the Royals.

As far as transportation goes, I would go with Thomas Moore, they are the "official" provider for the Royals and specialize in the Royal guests. You can book online through the Royal Resorts web site.

Love Brant and his 2 for 1 card, definitely worth the price.

As far as money goes, I would bring enough USD to get you through the first day (tips for bellmen etc.) and then use the ATM's here to withdraw pesos. If you do bring a lot of cash, you can exchange it at the hotel, casa de cambios or at the banks. The Royal Sands is next door to Plaza Kukulcan, there is a Santander Serfin bank right behind. Remember that all your purchases at the Royal Resorts are on a card system, no cash accepted. You use your room key as a credit card of sorts and pay on checkout. Each guest has their own card so you can keep track of who spent what. There is a place on the bills you sign to fill in tips as well, so you won't need to carry cash around the resorts.

If you want to do some snorkelling, my best recommendation is to go to Isla Mujeres. You can get a boat tour there for as low as 200 pesos, or head to Castillo de Garrafon and snorkel off shore for around 40 pesos. You can do a search of this forum for lots of info on Isla Mujeres.

Happy planning!

3. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have not traveled with Thomas Moore but they are probably very good if CancunCanuck is recommending them. That being said, if you are getting an Entertainment Plus 2x1 Card, you might want to consider booking transportation and tours through them as well. We have used the services of Entertainment Plus several times and have never been disappointed.

212eric

4. michl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it true to use the gym I need to pay $45?
    Does anyone know this?
    Thanks.

5. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I haven't seen that quote before. I've read $35.50/wk and $8.00/day elsewhere before.

Is that $45.00/wk?

6. michl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, per week.....
    I pulled that off their site.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice