First timers to The Golden...Arriving April 6th for seven nights

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by St Louis Blues, Feb 2, 2015.

1. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    2x
    once for 7 days
    last June for 3

2. St Louis Blues

St Louis Blues Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    Now I'm curious. Have you been to The Golden? If so, are you a fan of it? Likes and Dislikes if you have the time.

3. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    Been twice and did trip reports here and here.

Liked pretty much everything about it. The day time activities are less than what I've read about at Temptation, but seem to be closer to what I've read about Desire (the other two main resorts on this forum).

The beach is quite nice, if it isn't windy, and since I'm not really in a get drunk all day and all night mood on vacation, it's a nice trade off to spend time there. They have beach volleyball going on all day, but I like the pool volleyball better. The night time activity around the tiki bar is fun, and can be carried on wherever you want.

Not sure what my dislike would be, I'm not that picky. If I were to go and get bumped to the Great, that would be a dislike, but the time of year we have gone, that isn't an issue.

4. St Louis Blues

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    Thanks for showing the way to your 2 reviews. They were informative and helpful. Hope our stay is as enjoyable as yours was (especially the Dec. 2014 one). We haven't discussed the booze cruise yet but that will certainly be a possibility. Happy to hear this place doesn't shut down after dinner (like other places we have been to seem to do). Reading your experience makes me feel even better about choosing Golden.

5. lones

lones Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will love the place. We have been there 3 times so far and, looking forward to going in April. So many good things about the place. Just go enjoy.

Brent and Bonnie

6. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Yes overall GP has a better party atmosphere....but of course depends on week and crowd.
    Both places can be a lot of fun some nights.
    problem with GP is that they expect ppl to leave and hit the HZ clubs and many do. therefore
    some nights the crowd is thin, hence the reason there is limited seating at the Tiki Bar, which is the only spot that has a vibe after 10pm.
    at SSS....it is not common for ppl to leave campus at night.
    So if you have the right crowd...it can be a good party.
    I totally understand price point.
    I Will be interested to read your review post GP vacay.

CurIous...what AI in Jamaica did you stay at?

7. St Louis Blues

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    When are you going to be there in April?

We stayed at Club Hotel Riu Negril (2010). It was located on Bloody Bay which I was not a fan of (you are land locked). Would have much rather stayed on the 7 mile stretch of Negril Beach, which we visited one day. The resort said the beer (only on tap) was Red Stripe, but it was undrinkable. And I like Red Stripe beer.
    The long ride from airport to resort wasn't a fun thing. I believe we booked it as one of those 5 apple (red) trips where you don't know resort until you get to the airport, which I would never do again.
    The service seemed much more laid back in Jamaica than in Mexico. Could be a culture thing, or could be just that resort? The one thing I keep reading about Golden, is how great the bartender and servers are!!!
    I'm also seriously considering upgrading our room. Thoughts on that, anyone?

8. Restling

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4

About the only thing an upgrade gets you is a two person hot tub in your room that you may or may not even use. Beyond that just try and make sure you get a room on the fourth or fifth floor on the ocean side. The lower floors can have some trees blocking the view. Regardless of the room level, the sound of the ocean is great to sleep to. We spent so little time in the room except for sleep and sex that really it doesn't matter I guess, but for the times you are out on the balcony the higher floors are better.

Jose and Carlos are the best bartenders, and they are at the Tiki at night. All of the staff are extremely helpful, and polite. Never a complaint.

Seeing the thread about music at Patyo's reminded me that if you have a good selection on your ipod or iphone bring that to the Tiki, they'll let you play it.

Jose usually played this a couple times a night when we were there.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  9. St Louis Blues

Ratings:
    +49 / 1
    Thanks, we spend little time in our room. The two person hot tub would be nice, but the 2 times we stayed at Secrets, I think we used it once each time. Sounds like we won't have a mini fridge from what I can tell and that's sort of a bummer. A king would be so much nicer than 2 queen beds in our room (I'm not even sure why an adults only has rooms with 2 beds in them), but the only way to guarantee that is by upgrade.
    We did request a room on the highest floor possible, not sure how much they look at that stuff.
    Praying the room has a hair dryer (or wife will kill me), but it is not listed on the amenities list for standard room, and it is listed on all the rooms with an upgrade.

Edit: Ha! That song is pretty funny.....even if it is 23 degrees outside right now.....

10. Restling

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    Pretty sure we had a hair dryer in our room, seems like it was hard wired in "mexico style" to the outlet. We made no special request except for highest floor possible, and got a room with one king size bed. One of the couples we hung out with said they got a room with two beds at first, but switched rooms. I think if you get stuck with two beds you make one for sleeping, and one for play.

We also never used the room service, but I think they advertise as having it open 24 hours. May lesson the need for a fridge?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice