first timer questions about cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by shunter4044, Mar 25, 2007.

1. shunter4044

shunter4044 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys im 20 and im planning my first real "vacation" to cancun in august for my 21st birthday. We plan on leaving august 1st and coming back on the 6th. I live in oklahoma, ive never seen the ocean, never really been anywhere besides like 2 other states and im wanting to start traveling. We plan on staying at either the tucancun resort or oasis cancun. I was just hoping to get some advice on where to stay, any tips and hopefully what to expect out of the weather down there in august. Theres like 7 of my friends going and we plan on partying alot but we also want to do a bit of sightseeing and take in the culture down there. Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks guys, and awesome forum by the way.

2. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi there,
    Well you'll have a blast that's for sure.
    The weather is hot and humid in August so bring plenty of high factor sun cream.
    Don't forget about about the new passport ruling, everyone in your group must have a valid passport.
    Have a read up about some of the Oasis reviews, they aren't good, but it depends on which Oasis you were talking about as there are a few.
    I have heard good things about Tucancun so that would be a good option. It's just behind a nice plaza where you can find internet, stores etc and not too far from the the clubs and bars.

3. shunter4044

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ya i read up alot about hotels in the hotel zone. I heard that the oasis cancun was kind of a rough place to stay and that its mostly for the young party crowd. Theres no doubt that we will be partying but were also looking for a nice vacation at the same time, so i was leaning more towards the tucancun. I was also looking into some excursions, because id like to set aside one full day to sightseeing and things like that, but im not sure wich one would be best for us so any suggestions would be helpful. I heard the august was still a pretty popular time for cancun for the younger crowd is that true? Im hoping it is becuase we would like to meet people our own age. Thanks.

4. putangie63

putangie63 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well March-June is when you're gonna find a lot of younger people there because of all the college and high school spring breaks. A lot of people also take trips when they finish school so I imagine June is pretty popular and this is the month that studentcity.com is offering their spring break reunion trip. Some colleges and high schools start school the last week in august so i think the beginning of august might be a better time to go. I would also reccomend the tucancun over the oasis. I just got back from the oasis and personally wouldn't stay there again.

5. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Oasis' resorts in Cancun receive mixed to negative reviews as I'm sure you got the point already. Therefore, other resorts to consider in the similar price range include:
    Barcelo Tucancun
    NH Krystal
    Royal Solaris
    Flamingo Resort
    Sunset Royal

The following may be a bit more epensive than the above mentioned resorts however you may be lucky enough to catch them running a special promotion:
    Riu Cancun
    Park Royal Cancun
    Gran Caribe Real
    Fiesta Americana Condesa

As far as tours, you should check out what is offered via this website. There is so much to do in Cancun from water sports to visiting Mayan ruin sites, eco parks and dolphin swims. Investigate for a while and I am sure you will find plenty to do in Cancun.

212eric

6. BrianL

BrianL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do people live without the ocean???!?!?!?

I live 40 minutes north of the ocean here and its way too far!! I cant imagine going a summer without going go to the ocean 10+ times..

The advantages of living in Rhode Island

7. shunter4044

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here in oklahoma the closest thing we have are lakes, wich arent exactly phenominal. I am very looking forward to swimming in the ocean and haveing a good time in cancun, i appreciate everyones help, thanks guys.

8. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too live in Oklahoma, and I'm a scuba diver! How sad is that?!?!?!

what part are you in? We have been to the Cancun area 4 times in the past 3 years...not that it compares to a lot of people on this board....I can help you out in just about anyway that you want...but this forum is great....lots of good people to answer any questions you may think of.

9. shunter4044

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live just north of bartlesville, in the northeast corner of OK, you ? Ya these boards are awesome i've only been on here for about a week or so and i've learned tons of useful info about cancun.

10. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I grew up here on the coast of CT, moved from here down the Gulf coast of Florida, and then to Cape Cod, Dallas, and Atlanta....

Dallas and Atlanta drove me crazy because they are landlocked. Sure, i went to the lakes, but it's not the same if you can see the other side of it.

There is something liberating about the Gulf/Ocean/Sea that's hard to explain... even if you don't go in the water. I guess it's all what you're used to

I hope you have a blast in Cancun, and you'll have a newfound love of blue/green waters, sunsets, and drinking on the beach staring at the horizon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice