First Time in Cancun, a few questions

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by garrihk, Mar 13, 2009.

1. garrihk

garrihk Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First, my son who is 8 is a VERY picky eater. I would like to bring some food for him in my checked luggage (peanut butter, jelly, goldfish, etc). Is this allowed?
    Will there be grocery stores in the hotel zone?
    The Xel Ha looks neat, would this be good for an 8 and 14yr old, is it worth the money?
    Thanks in Advance!

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have packed snacks (crackers) and have never had a problem and we did get our bags checked at customs. So they did see them and didnt say a word. Not sure about the peanut butter and jelly though.
    Also on the way home we bring all sorts of snacks back. Like the spicy bar peanuts, bimbo breakfast bars, candy.... and we never have had a problem with those either.

3. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Crackers of any kind is ok for your child. Depending on where you are staying though there is a Wal Mart in Cancun that sells the same snacks as you get at home so why carry so much. Plus a great adventure for the kids to visit the Wal Mart outside their own home areas.

Xel Ha is wonderful for kids and they will have a wonderful time there. A good choice for both ages. Worth the time and the trip overall.

4. garrihk

garrihk Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much for the information. This forum is very helpful. I am getting very excited about our first trip to Cancun. We have never been out of the country before!

5. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with the above advice also. We always hit Walmart up when we go down. You'll have to take either the bus (which is cheaper... around .75 cents per person one way) or a taxi (make sure you agree upon the fare before getting in).

If you take the bus, you will have to get off of the bus and walk a little to get to Walmart. If you don't speak Spanish, or speak limited Spanish, you will still be able to pretty much decipher what the products are by looking at them. Some of the products will have the same name as in the U.S.

Or you could get off of the bus at one of the local supermarkets. I actually think that there are one or two of them before the Walmart stop even. The prices are just as good and is a good experience as well with your family. But if you do purchase a fair amount of groceries, I would suggest you splurge for the taxi. It is much quicker. So your groceries will not be in the heat as long. Again, agree with the cab driver before getting in. But you will find the prices in the city for taxis are cheaper than in the Hotel Zone.

Lastly, there are some places (convenience stores like OXXO) in the Hotel Zone that might be close to your resort which might carry some of the smaller snack items. As I mentioned above, you'll pay a little more for them though.

Have a great time. Cancun rocks!

6. Mojito

Mojito Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've taken all kinds of food with us and have never been questioned about it. I was told you can take almost anything that is factory "sealed" in your luggage. We've taken sauces, spices, Slim Jims, and other prepackaged items for friends that either find these items hard to find or expensive. We've even taken partially frozen water bottles that we take out of the suitcase for the long and sometimes hot collectivo ride to the hotel. Remember your luggage weight allowance though. A jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly can weigh you down.

7. Mojito

Mojito Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that when my kids were about the age of your kids, we took them to Xel Ha. Once they were done with the snorkeling, they were bored. From personal experience, I think you'd get more bang for your buck at Xcaret.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice