Firefighter's Fund

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunNurse, Aug 27, 2011.

1. den&holly

den&holly Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another great cause you are working on. Let us know if you want help with the pick up. We are available - and you know Den would LOVE to take pictures for you!!

2. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Firefighter's Fund!

You guys know you're ALWAYS welcome to join us in WHATEVER we're out and about doing!!!We're hoping to go down to Paamul with you to donate the books to the new library that was started there. Tell Den to get that camera a'chargin'!!!

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Cancunnurse, can you give us an update on how this effort is going?

4. CancunNurse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure V,
    I am in New York now and will be back next week. All of the monies were collected for the Firemen's Uniforms and the shipping. I went to Puerto Morelos to pick it up with the Fire Chief, and, of course, Aduanba had "issues". They said we needed more papaer work than we had. Two members of the Rotary Club came to my house and told me they would be able to get it out. Well, they weren't successful either. They wanted to ship it back to Laredo and then bring it in with the proper papaerwork. I have a friend in the Governement that is going to help me once I get back. Hopefully, this can be resolved without extra shipping and costs, once I get back....

5. CancunNurse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure V. All of the monies for the Firemen's Uniforms and the shipping were collected. I went with the Firemen to Puerto Morelos and of course, Aduana had "issues". They said we didn't have the proper paperwork. This was supposed to be take n care of but someone dropped the ball and it wasn't covered. Two men from the Rotarty Club came to my hous and said they can get it out. Well, they weren't successful either. They wanted to ship it back to Laredo and then bring it back in. In the meanwhile, I have a friend in the Government that's going to help me get it out. I am in New York till next week and once I return, this will be my priority. Hopefully, we can get their uniforms out of Aduana without any more costs...Keep your fingers crossed!

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the update. Glad you got everything going. Not glad for all the crap they are giving. It is sooooo difficult to do the right things right here. Much easier to do them wrong. Grrrrrr

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    What a shame. I'm under the impression its the shipping company that prepares the bill of lading, and puts in the codes that classifies a shipment for customs purposes. Wonder what went wrong?

Now, the shipment is running up storage charges while it sits there, in all likelihood.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Too bad Nancy. That sucks.

When I was doing this after the fire at Plz las Americas we brought it in a suitcase or two at a time, just me and my retired firefighter friend Eddie Tippitt. But we were each making a trip a month to Florida anyway so not a real big deal.

Nonetheless, we always had to exlplain that it was used equipment and a gift for los bomberos. The sentiments were stronger then due to the death of the two young men who had inadequate equipment that cost them their lives.

Good luck. If I can still find the Comandante at Stn #1 I will be happy, but this was years ago. I know it is two different agencies but maybe the "I know a guy who knows a guy" thing could happen.

9. CancunNurse

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Firefighter's

The Bill of Lading WAS prepared by Hyde Shipping. They do this all the time so they KNEW exactly what was needed. It was all sent in...as a donation, as USED equipment, AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN! I LOVE MEXICO but sometimes it is SO FRUSTRATING to deal with life and death issues with absolutely NO COMPASSION from THEIR OWN PEOPLE...13 years in Mexico and still don't get it. Anyone out there able to explain this to me???

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There's plenty that can go wrong with an international shipment that has nothing to do with it being Mexico. For example, what INCOTERM was used for the shipment, and what code was applied to it, under the Harmonized System for classifiying goods for customs purposes. Some of the documents used will reveal which were applied to this shipment

Equally important, who did the documents say the goods were to be delivered to. For many shipments meant to be for humanitarian purposes, it is necessary to disclose the end user of the goods in the documents, who must write a letter requesting the goods: this helps negate the implication that the goods are being cleared for resale.

There are many possible hangups that could account for a delay in customs clearance that would occur in almost any port around the world, if faced with the same issues. It's too bad this has happened with this shipment, and I hope it's not too difficult to resolve, in the end.

Here's a website that discusses some of the issues, including a need for an international sanitary certificate for used clothing and shoes.

http://www.globalhand.org/en/browse/regions/Americas/customs/document/26677?noscript=true

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice