Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Jan 25, 2007.
My vet just told me there has been a fire in the mall.Anyone else here this?
Another one? What's up with that place?
Yes, serious fire at PLA. Started last night around 1am, got it under control but right now at least two firemen have died. They are saying it started at El Mundo Deportivo (the sports store by Sears) and that Mambo Cafe is destroyed, gone. The entire mall is closed until further notice, they are doing an investigation.
And yes, Michael, very similar to the last time. The last fire was just across the hall from the sports store and was faulty wiring that caused an explosion.
My thoughts go out to the families of the firefighters, how tragic!
Thought and prayers to the firefighter and their families.
Yes, this is a much worse event with the deaths of those bomberos. Am sorry for the loss to their families.
I am also concerned because the last time they noted the lack of emergency fire escapes/exits. Anyone know if that was rectified prior to this more recent tragedy?
I seriously doubt it. And at that time of night, there would have been a crowd at Mambo Cafe. I haven't heard of any injuries except to the firemen, so they must have been evacuated ok.
I just got off the phone with my vet and the owner of Africa which is down the stairs on the parking level below Sears.
She said it was pretty bad and that the roof colapsed. They were allowed to go in and get the birds, bugs, reptiles dogs and cats but unfortunately they had to leave the fish behind. They have not been allowed to go back in because they say it is too dangerous, giving the two firemen that passed as examples.
I asked her if the product would be ok, she didn't sound too positive about it saying that there were floods and that the situation with the roof wasn't good.
I felt really bad she really didn't sound too good.
Very sad about the firemen....my dad and brother are firefighters....their families are in my prayers.
There's one pic and a story in Spanish here..... http://www.esmas.com/noticierostelevisa/mexico/599240.html
And a short one in English.... http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=53103§ionId=46
A freind of Mine from the Gym owns a store there and they informed her that they believe the fire started due to a hotplate being left on by an employee at Mundo Deportivo.
I is very sad, and I feel so bad for the Families of the Firemen.