Finding an Apartment

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Gmanca, Aug 30, 2012.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    For a number of reasons, but principally for its convenient location and a beautiful, large tropical park, maintained at the owners' expense, SM15 is one of my favorites, though it is an older neighborhood.

Available housing started at 6,000 and went up from there, when I did an exhaustive search for a place to live in that area.

In the end, you're just going to have a look at neighborhoods, and places to live, yourself: only then will you be able to decide what will give you the combination of "...somewhere affordable that allows me to feel safe, be economical and have a good time while being in Mexico," that you're looking for, and discover what you'll have to pay to get it.

2. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lived in Tierra Maya before I met my husband. I'm pretty sure that I was the only gringa living there. You can imagine the looks I got as I walked to the OXXO. I think that people must have thought that I fell asleep on the bus and accidentally ended up there.

Living in 103 was the best: I paid $200 MX a month for a tiny room, unfinished bathroom, no flushing toilet, and cockroaches crawling out of the hundreds of holes in the walls. I was there for 2 months, I think. So, yeah, my standards are pretty low lol

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Are you in the area, yet? When and if you are, send some PMs to let us know so the posters to this forum can meet you.

4. Gmanca

Gmanca Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will do and thanks heaps. I'll be arriving on the 14th, apparently my director has some places lined up for me to see, that couple with the valuable location information you have all provided me should get me off to a good start. Cheers!

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    With a solid job offer at a reputable school, and a director who is prepared to spend time helping you find a place to live, you should be off to a good start on your new adventure, here in Cancun!

6. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Welcome Gmanca- my son attends CES so no doubt we will meet you soon. Its a way out of town.I did see apartments in Cumbres recently- cant remember the cost , probably not exactly cheap as Cumbres is a new "smarter" area.
    Good Luck.

7. Gmanca

Gmanca Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's great Tracey, hope to meet you. I'm starting tomorrow. Thanks to everyone, your advice to explore the city and find a place where I found comfortable was definitely the thing to do. Just to update I did manage to find a furnished place with one bedroom, one bathroom and a kitchen/dining room in my price range (5500) in SM 20 that is in a well maintained new building with a pool in a gated community with an onsite guard. Water, gas, cleaning/maintenance, internet and cable tv are included. First weekend has been great, now it's time to hammer down and learn some Spanish. Cheers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice