Finding a property

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by deherald, Jan 29, 2013.

1. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    heheh! thank you all very much!!! I'm not a big drinker or a big clubber. Actually of my almost 7, 8 or however many trips there I've only ever been to La Boom twice(RIP), Dady O/Rock twice and hated it both times. Sweet once.... hated it. Mandala twice, it was okay. and The city once, hated it. lol. I don't like to feel like a sardine. I like Slices and Terrasta. But thats more for vacation.

When I stayed there for a bit in Andalucia we saw a movie a las americas I'm assuming it was.... and went to la isla once. THAT was exciting enough lol.

My idea of excitement is a trip to OXXO. I love that place. That is where I will waste all of my money lol.

You guys are right. I will definitely spend at least my 179.9 days renting for a bit. I know there are nice studios not too far from HZ and bus access for around 250.

It just sucks renting. I cringe thinking of the money I'm throwing away and will never get back. But I guess that's better than throwing away my savings and then not being able to sell if I decide that I hate it.

i just want to live out the rest of my life in my happy place. Time is short and it's not worth it being here in NJ with these..... "creatures" that I live amongst, lol.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There's an OXXO on every corner, so you should be happy. But, just wait till you get used to regular visits to Costco, then you'll know what true happiness is....

3. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    hahah I've never been to one!!! You guys are making me excited to go. :)

4. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hammiej, if you check Puerto Morelos, you might like it. I did; now I have my winter home there and it's a nice place. You can google lots of info on it. It's 30 minutes from Cancun and Playa del Carmen via ADO and mini-van shuttles.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    One thing you might want to look for Hammie is a landlord who is willing to sell their property after you've been renting a while.

We are moving this weekend and upon giving notice our current landlord offered to sell us the house for a very good price, and from that price was willing to subtract all the rent we had paid since we moved in. We've been there for 5 years so quite a significant amount of rent money paid. I was quite tempted to buy, do the place up and re-rent.

Our new place (also to be rented) the owner has offered us an option to buy after one year, again minus the rent we will have paid by then.

Seems landlords are often looking to sell. Probably a sign of a weak sellers market.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's remarkable, Steve. I hadn't heard of it before.

Sounds like the impact of properties being on the market for years and the continuing construction of new residential properties of all types is being felt by many owners.

I could imagine this scenario: new, and more attractive homes/condos, etc. go up and owners get the itch to buy; but, their money is already tied up with other properties. To do the deal, they've got to sell something....

We're negotiating on a property that's been on the market for two years, some we've looked at have been on the market for four, and everywhere you go you see a large percentage of properties with for sale signs on them.

The City of Cancun is not shrinking in population, and the tourism industry is enjoying boom times here, but there are now far more residential properties available than there are people who need them. We may yet see a market collapse like occurred in the U.S. So far, there's been no great fall off in prices, but it could come as the place gets progressively more overbuilt.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  7. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After reading this thread that is exactly what I was thinking V.

8. Tom Lavin

Tom Lavin Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Our Casa is in the Hotel Zone and it didn't take long before we knew we needed a vehicle of our own.

Even with the availability of buses and taxis (which are not cheap in the HZ), it's not easy to schlep a week's worth of groceries without one's own wheels.

The rental shown above is a good hike to the bus stop on Kukulcan Blvd and IMO might even require a taxi to get there and back depending on what you're carrying.

JMHO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice