Finally getting a cell phone...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Alma Libre, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola all,

We're finally back, and delighted to be back!

We've decided to break down and finally get a cell phone. We've resisted because I hate the things, but they seem to be a necessary evil these days...and we got used to having one up north these last couple of trips.

We want the cheapest thing we can get, and will only be calling within the 998 area code. We'll call Canada or the US via voip.

It appears from searching the board that most people that use their phone the same way seem to go to Telcel and get an Amigo phone. Is this correct?

Do we need to go to a main Telcel office or do we just deal with one of the little booths that seem to be everywhere.

Do the minutes you buy expire quickly or do they last? I don't imagine we will use the things too often and definitely won't have long conversations on it.

Thanks so much!
    Rob & Joanne

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can buy a phone at any of those little booths and buy cards for 100, 200, 500 pesos a shot. No plan necessary, pay as you go! I don't use the phone much at all, 100 pesos can last me a couple of weeks usually.

3. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a trac phone that works like that CC. I just leave it in the glove compartment in case of troubles.

Works like a charm. I think they are available in MX too. Or at least you can get some coverage according to the web site.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As cc said, buy a cheapo Amigo and if you're not going to be using it much, get the 100 peso card. The cards expire, I think in 60 days or so, but if you re-up with another 100 peso card with in a week or so, the remaining minutes on the expired card are reactivated. I'm a little loose on the actual expiration times, but I would assume you can ask wherever you buy the phone.

That being said, both my wife and I have "un-locked" phones that we use all over the world, so we just bought SIM cards from TelCel and restock the minutes with the use of the same Amigo fijas sold everywhere.

And one last piece of advice. Be careful where you buy the fijas. Only get them from a TelCel authorized agency or one of the "big" stores like WalMart. I was burned by a 100 peso fija I bought in a grocery store that would not authorize.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mix is right on but I want to add that for $100 you get 100 credits, for $200 I think it is 250 credits, for $300 I think it is 450 credits and for $500 I KNOW it is $900 credits. A couple of times a year they have promos. I know then you get 1,000 credits for $500.

After a year I think all local calls are only $1 per minute and I think before that you can designate 10 numbers and the cost is $1 per minute. I have no idea what the cost is during the first year for numbers not on that list but it is a tiny bit more.

You need to learn how to text message. That seems to be the deal.

Another reminder is that it is a long distance call to dial a cell from a land line. Incoming calls are free from within the local dialing area, as are text messages. Calls from the US and Canada are free to you if the caller adds a "1" after the 52 country code and before the city code.

And don't drink and dial. I always get in trouble for that.

6. eddie.willers

eddie.willers Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alternatively, you can now buy top-ups for as little as MN$30 at Oxxo (and the main supermarkets) here in Tampico using a direct-pay electronic system they offer.

7. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cell phone

Many thanks for the info. I promise to pick the least annoying ring tone possible and step outside to make a call. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice