ferry boat to Cozumel

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by fun4us90, Apr 29, 2007.

1. fun4us90

fun4us90 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone tell me is there a ferry boat that goes to Cozumel? Also what is the price and the hours? Do they have a website with information on it? Thanks

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ferry runs every hour, or even more often, from Playa del Carmen. There's no ferry from Cancun to Coz. Prices are about $9 or $10 usd each way.

Hope that helps.

3. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Play del Carmen – Cozumel Ferry Schedule

Playa del Carmen to Cozumel:
    6:00 AM
    8:00 AM
    9:00 AM
    10:00 AM
    11:00 AM
    13:00 PM
    15:00 PM
    17:00 PM
    18:00 PM
    19:00 PM
    21:00 PM
    23:00 PM

Cozumel to Playa:
    5:00 AM
    7:00 AM
    8:00 AM
    9:00 AM
    10:00 AM
    12;00 PM
    14:00 PM
    16:00 PM
    17:00 PM
    18:00 PM
    20:00 PM
    22:00 PM

4. fun4us90

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks

Okay that helps with the cost and location of the ferry. Does anyone know of the travel options from BBG to where the ferry departs and the cost of that type of a trip?

Thanks

5. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: thanks

You can take the bus (or a taxi) to the bus station in Cancun and then take a bus to Playa Del Carmen.

You could take a taxi there as well but it would be expensive and the bus only takes an hour or so and costs under $5 per person.

6. fun4us90

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks

Thanks Karen. Your just a wealth of knowledge.

Mike

7. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: thanks

I try. :lol:

Here's some directions on how to find the bus station in downtown Cancun if you're taking the bus and also how to find the ferry dock once you get to Playa:

The bus will leave the hotel zone and turn right onto Tulum Ave. When the bus turns right....which is the first turn it will make once it leaves the hotel zone, then your stop is a couple down...so be watching.

You will be dropped off right in front of Commercial Mexicana, a grocery store. Wait for the bus to take off and the traffic to clear because you are going to have to cross traffic and cross the street. You won't see anything that looks like a bus station as you are standing there, due to the angle that the station sits.....trust me, it's there though.

So cross the street and when you get to the other side of the road, turn right and walk down a bit...then you will see the buses in the back and just walk around to the front of the bus station.

When you get inside, there is a line for Playa del Carmen an the bus leaves about every 10-15 minutes. Pay for your ticket $3.20us and go ahead and get on the bus. No assigned seating...just sit wherever you like. The bus is air conditioned & might get a tad nippy. There is storage room over the seats as well as in the bowel of the bus if you are taking gear with you.

The ride will take about 45 minutes. The bus will stop at various spots an pick up & drop off folks. Yes...it will literally pull over to the side of the road to pick folks up & drop them off.

Now...the bus station in Playa del Carmen sits on the corner of Juarez Ave & 5th Ave. When you walk out of the bus station, you will see a McDonalds, Dominos Pizza and a Bank ATM machine directly in front of you. As you are standing one 5th Ave., facing McDonalds/Dominos etc...turn to your right and walk to the corner. The corner is Juarez Ave. You can look down Juarez Ave. and see the ocean......Walk down Juarez Ave., towards the water to the end of the road, turn right & walk towards Sr. Frogs....which is the only way that you can turn at that point an remain on the road. Walk 2 blocks down to Calle 1 South & turn left at Calle 1 South an you will walk right into the ferry dock.

Now....WARNING: The ticket booth closest to the ferry dock is a timeshare booth. They will offer you a free ferry ticket in exchange for you listening to a timeshare pitch. Avoid that booth unless you want to waste 3-4 hours of your day listening to a salespitch. Go to any other ticket booth to buy your ticket...the cost is the same at all of them so it doesn't matter which one you pick. The cost is 80 pesos one way & 146 pesos round trip.

The ferry ride will take 30-45 minutes depending. When you get to Cozumel, there will be a taxi line to your left. If you need a taxi to get to a particular place, catch one. If you are just gonna hang out in town...everything is walking distance.

8. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To add to the (quite comprehensive) explanation Karan's already provided, the First Class bus station (which also serves Second Class buses) looks like this once you get closer to being inside.
    [​IMG]
    It's on the corner of Uxmal and Tulum, and my recollection is that there's a bit of a wall around this place, so you'll only get this view by looking into the corner where the buses actually come out.

And here's a map
    [​IMG]
    Your R1 bus that you take from in front of your hotel (or nearby) will come into the mapped area on Kulkulcan (heavy orange line midway down on the right) from the Hotel Zone and go north on Tulum (the other heavy orange line labeled rt 307 at the bottom of the map). The green dot (next to the red dot with a "2" in it) - is the First Class Bus Station and where you want to get off of the city bus to get on the bus to Del Carmen.

Note that there are 2 different bus lines which will take you to PDC. One will make stops along the way as Karan reported, the other will be an express that will only stop at Puerto Morales and then Playa Del Carmen.

Autobuses del Oriente, or ADO Autobuses del Oriente (PHONE: 998/884-5542), offers the regular bus service to Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen every hour from 5 AM until noon, and every 20 minutes from noon until midnight.

Playa Express/Mayab Bus Lines (PHONE: 998/887-1149) offers the express buses that leave every 20 minutes for Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen.

9. fun4us90

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow

If I get lost now I don't have anyone to blame but myself. Thanks alot both of you. Now as long as I don't loose that info before we go. I will have to copy it and put it in my Cancun folder to print out and take with me.

Anyhow thanks alot.

Mike

10. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Karan,

Those directions look mighty familiar???

Michelle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice