Federales All Over the Place

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's almost 2 PM as I write this. There has been a major Federal Police action going on at km 14 on Kulkulcan since 8 this morning. One lane is coned off and some cars, almost every SUV and every truck are being pulled over and searched. There is a major contingent of Federal Officers in place, all armed with loaded weapons. How they remain standing out in the sun wearing black uniforms and body armor is beyond me, but they are looking really serious. Does anyone know what's going on?

2. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    same thing on the highway near the airport. this morning they were blocking southbound, this afternoon northbound. Traffic is and was waaaay backed up.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've noticed a lot more cop activity lately. I think it has something to do with the recent rash of mafia-related killings here.

I understand that the mayor and governor have vowed to crack down on the trafficking and smuggling in the area. But I think a lot of cops are scared of what would happen to them if they piss off the wrong people. It's a big mess and makes me think I'm insane for living here.

An INM agent I know was pulled over for a routine traffic violation (turning left on a green light, but not having a green arrow). When the cop saw his INM uniform the cop got scared, didn't say a word, and went back and got in his car and left. That's one way to get out a ticket.

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun Hosting Oil Summit Meetings

Dangers
    In a Little Cafe...
    Forum posts: 6,809

Travel map pins: 89 Travel maps show where members have been and are going. Start your own!

More about Dangers...

Posted on: 9:39 pm, today Save
    Just a head's up...

For those traveling to and from Cancun, and those there, there's currently a major world oil summit meeting going on between 26 plus ministers of oil producing nations and their staff. There's no word as to the Hotel(s) they're at but I experienced a similar affair while traveling in Los Cabos some time back and the security was extraordinary. Obviously, there will likely be major Mexican politicos on the scene as well hosting the event in Cancun

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also heard today that Calderon is set to swing thru tomorrow, although I don't know where or for what exactly...

Whether or not it has anything to do with the price of tea in Playa I've no idea... :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice