FAQ's FOR CELLPHONE SERVICE IN CANCUN

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by johnc, Dec 13, 2005.

1. muddysuzi

muddysuzi Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not recommend using your cell phone in another country period.

I worked 5 years in collections for Cingular Wireless and saw firsthand how expensive this can be. People would be amazed that we charged them to use their phone in another country. Regulations, equipment, agreements are costly and therefore the consumer will pick up the tab if they insist on the luxury of using their cellphone internationally. Customers I have talked to would have a couple of thousand dollars worth of bills due to using their phones outside the US.

When I was in Cancun I purchased a calling card for $20 and used it from my hotel when I needed to talk to someone back home. My boyfriend got the number of my hotel in Cancun and could call my room directly and would even leave notes at the front desk for me...in turn they would slide the note under the door of my room.

No need for a cell phone y'all. Enjoy your vacation!!!

2. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. ibizasue

ibizasue I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    regular

any one know any info on buying a mexican chip for my phone it is a free to air tri band phone...i go to cancun quite regularily, and it would be handy for people to call me whilst away.. at the mo if someone rings me i have to pay for an international call..i am on contract with moviestar espana..

4. Jessica3910

Jessica3910 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my experience.

i took my nextel last year. my mom added twoway the week before for the duration of the trip... to extend to mexico ...and i never once had a problem. i made phone calls to the BF too. signal went in and out but if i was outside i had no problem. didnt get charged extra either. just call them and have them add it to ur plan for a week. it was 5 dollars.

5. ibizasue

ibizasue I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    cheers

but i think its because i am with moviestar in spain if i get an incoming call . i am billed the price of an international, i did get the roaming package too !!! so this time i went an got a mexican chip for 10 dollars and all is cool xxxxx cheers for help

6. lanceroz

lanceroz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all, hope this helps for Verizon customers...

Just got back the other day, and my phone worked fine. I am through Verizon, using a Treo 650.

But here is the thing!!!

I had to dial 0111 area code then number.
    So for example. 0111-555-645-1232

But people calling me just had to dial as normal and it went right through. Oh and I checked with Verizon before hand and they said to make sure you update your phone by dialing *228 and then press 2. It costs $0.69 cents a minute while down there... So keep the minutes down! Hope this info helps anyone!

7. cjcjcj

cjcjcj Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Phone

Our service is thru Cingular, all we have to do is dial 00 then area code and number to call home. Worked in Cancun and Playa area for us.

Marie

8. stellaprincipal

stellaprincipal Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ATT Wireless in Cancun

Does anyone have info on how ATT Wireless (I am from the US) works in Cancun?

Roaming charges? Reliability? Etc?

Does caller ID work? I only want to be answering those calls that I can identify as being worth answering.

And does anyone know if my name will be showing up on the caller ID of those back home who I am calling from Cancun?

I know this has been discussed on this thread, but many of the posts are old and I was wondering if things have changed in the past two years.

Thanks!

9. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: ATT Wireless in Cancun

Your call ID won't work...it will say "caller withheld" or something like that.

I have also had difficulty connecting to my voice mail at times.

You call back to the States may show up as your number or may show up as "unknown caller". I have had both these happen when I called home on my ATT phone.

10. urefinneJ

urefinneJ Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: ATT Wireless in Cancun

Theres a newer place "mexitel.net" that will send you a phone to use in Mexico. They're cheap and they work everywhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice