FAQ's FOR CELLPHONE SERVICE IN CANCUN

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by johnc, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Pantherburn

Pantherburn Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Calls from USA to cellphone in Cancun?

Hi,

How would one dial my cellphone from the USA while I am in Cancun in case of emergency?

Is it 011-52+3 digit area code+3 digit prefix+4 digit number? OR???

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    On my last trip people just called my regular number in the states. The trick was calling your voice mail to retrieve an messages that were left for you. You have to dial 001+area code+number to get back to your stateside phone number.

Jamie

3. Rubble2240

Rubble2240 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was there in early May! I have Verizon Wireless service. Call Verizon before you go down to Cancun and have them turn on your internation dialing. My phone worked just like normal down there. If I wanted to call home all I had to do was dial 001 + 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

My buddies Nextels, and Cinguliar also worked

4. TheBman

TheBman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had brought my TELUS Mike phone down there and could 2way home and all over with no problem.

5. LIGUY

LIGUY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cingular

I used my cingular phone in cancun without problem to the states. I went to cingular...got them to add the international service for 20bux & it was .59cents per minute. texts worked also. simply cancelled international svce when i got home.

6. Duece

Duece Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering if a Blackberry can make a connection in Cancun or Playa?

As a cell phone I have T-mobile, that will work, I'm wondering about a wireless 'net connection?

7. steelerman

steelerman Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cingular

Wow good to hear cingular works fine. If you don't upgrade the $20 for international calling how much would it be per minute I wonder? Or would you even get service?

8. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Using Sprint in Cancun

I too will be taking my Sprint phone there, but will use it for high-priority calls at $1/min.

Those of you with T-mobile, just take your phone with you and insert a SIM from Telcel (can be found anywhere/everywhere at the airport especially - cost $10 loaded with $10 of phone time @ 40 cents per min) and dial anywhere in Cancun using 7 numbers.

To call out for cheap - to US or in Mexic, use virtual calling card at 17 cents per minute and no payphone surcharge (important - check this before buying) from enjoyprepaid.com or cloncom.com or wherever.

9. johnc

johnc Administrator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Beware that T-Mobile branded phones (as well as other carriers) are often restricted to only accept their own SIM cards. You can probably find a back street dealer at home before you leave who can "deprogram" that restriction for something like $30.

I recently changed carriers from T-Mobile to Cingular, primarily due to issues of coverage in N.Texas/Oklahoma where I was working, but also because Cingular has some discounted roaming plans "Mexico Connect" and "World Connect" which drop the price of airtime while roaming in Mexico from $0.99/min to $0.49/min. T-Mobile was previously charging me $1.49/min :shock: it costs $4.99/month but you can activate it before you leave and deactivate it when you return, paying only for the month you use it in.

10. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good catch John C - thanks for noting the oversight.
    It's very important to remember to 'unlock' your phone or you're quite correct, the phone will only work for SIMs coming from the carrier that distributed the phone (like T-Mobile)

That being said, I don't think I'd pay $30 unless I had to.
    Many times, the carrier will unlock the phone for you if it's already been used to satisfy a previous purchase agreement, but the easier/faster/more-certain way is just to find an un-locking site like this one for Nokias:

http://unlock.nokiafree.org/

and even if you can't find one for your phone (Google works well but not 100% of the time), you'll find all kinds of sources that come up in the right hand column (that's where the paid ads are) that will do it for $5 max.

Hope this helps someone as this (Cancuncare) is really an awesome site.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice