Family Scammed in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by NormsKid, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Great example of media sensationalism!

It's not a scam it's theft, scamming involves deception after gaining confidence. But "scam" is a much more newsworthy word. Cancun always cops for one of these every so often. You'd think such a thing had never happened before on US soil the way it was reported.

I didnt even know you could use a foreign debit card for purchases in Mexico, certainly you cant use a UK one. They are only good for cash withdrawals and useless without a PIN number.

2. LadyLegs

LadyLegs Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    We use our US debit card for purchases in Mexico all the time. I guess we better change that practice quickly.

3. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I believe the term is Visa Check Card... Can be used as an ATM/Debit card and can be used as a Visa ( or MC if you have that one) but the money comes directly out of your checking account.
    [​IMG]

Debit Cards can only be used as such... insert card, enter PIN, get cash.

Regarding the Visa Check Card:

Zero LiabilityIt’s simple. Shop online and off with absolutely no risk.
    Use your Visa card to shop online, in a store, or anywhere, and you're protected from unauthorized use of your card or account information. With Visa’s Zero Liability policy1, your liability for unauthorized transactions is $0—you pay nothing.

Security Concern
    “Am I responsible for fraudulent charges to my account?”

Solution
    -Discover the peace of mind that comes with Visa's Zero Liability.1
    Benefits
    You'll never have to worry about a lost or stolen card, because you won't be liable for fraudulent purchases.
    How it Works
    -You're protected from unauthorized use of your card—no matter how you shop.

1 Visa’s Zero Liability policy covers U.S.–issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify issuer promptly of any unauthorized use. Consult issuer for additional details or visit

4. justjimmy

justjimmy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let them know

We use our Visa card all the time on trips. Before we go we call our bank and card company. Tell them when, where and how long we're going. They actually appreciate it.

Neet thing at Carlos and Charlies. mabe all Groupo Andesons. They charge your card tableside with a portable scanner so your card never leaves your site.

Jimmy

5. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    which would be very difficult without the PIN number

Cash is king.[/quote]

You do NOT need a pin number to make purchases with a debit card. I never use my pin number anymore becuse then I wouldn't get united airlines milage credits on my card.

Michelle

6. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I use my debit card for EVERYTHING here in the states, but in cancun I usually bring a good amount of money, and hide the rest in my luggage and take what I need each night/day. If I do need to withdraw more money, then I break out the debit and take out what I need. No biggy!

7. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You do NOT need a pin number to make purchases with a debit card. I never use my pin number anymore becuse then I wouldn't get united airlines milage credits on my card.

Michelle[/quote]

Michelle,
    I was referring to the somewhat antiquated 'ATM Card', which is for taking out money only. I believe most people, but not all, have a 'check card' of some sort that can be used for purchases and such just like an actual credit card, but the money comes directly out of your checking account.

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW! Are people still using those old debit cards that require a PIN? The new debit cards are much better because you earn rewards points towards merchandise. The money still comes directly out of the checking account, but you get benefits the more you use it.

This guy is from the Chicago area, I can't imagine him still using the old card.....

Michelle

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did they even report it to the police? It doesn't say anywhere that they made any effort to report it. It seems to me that if they have a pretty good idea who it was the police would do a little investigating.

10. diva681

diva681 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was thinking the same thing. I would have definitely reported it to the police. I'm surprised that anyone would take their debit card with them on a snorkeling trip or leave any valuables on a boat while snorkeling. Just doesn't make good sense. I also can't imagine anyone leaving more than $22,000 in their checking account knowing they are leaving their debit card where it could be taken.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice