Family of 5 going to Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by backhome, Feb 1, 2007.

1. backhome

backhome Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. My family of five will be going to Cancun this March. This will be our first trip there. I've read thru many of the posts here. I have lots of questions for activities and tours for my family. The ages of the kids are 17, 14 and 5.

We cashed in my dh's Marriott points and will be staying at the JW Mariott. As far as activities such as snorking, tours of the Island, can we book these thru the hotel upon arrival? I'm very interested in street markets where you can barter to buy items. Are there any on Cancun? What are the ones we should visit? Do the street markets take American dollars?

Also, I've read in a book that we shouldn't expect to swim in the ocean. That it's uncommon to see a green flag. This is a big concern to me. My kids love the ocean. Is this true? I however, prefer a pool ! :wink:

This is all for now. I'll be back with more questions as they come to mind! Thanks!!

2. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can't really give you info on the kids tours..But watch your kids oin the water, the tides and the currents are strong, and you have to watch for the flags. The flas signify what the ocean is like, hence red flags, mean beware!

:lol:

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are a lot of great tours in Cancun, it all depends on what you are looking for. Historically, Chichen Itza is a pretty spectacular ruins site, it's being recognized as a possible "new wonder of the world". There are ruins in Tulum as well, though much smaller they are beautiful as they are set on teh ocean. You can combine the Tulum ruins with one of the eco parks, Xelha or Xcaret, or do the parks by themselves. I love taking a self guided day trip over to Isla Mujeres. Rent a golf cart and tour around this small island. You'll find Dolphin Discovery, a turtle farm, a pirate house, a great little market area and a fabulous beach at Playa Norte. Selvatura looks like a blast, I haven't been out there yet as my son is still too small but I can't wait! Two kilometers of zip lines over the jungle, cenotes for swimming and bike trails.

For market shopping, you've got several choices if you are looking to barter. Market 28 downtown is the biggest and one of the most popular. Great deals on silver and handicrafts and some great little restaurants in the middle. Coral Negro and Plaza Zocalo are in the party center of the hotel zone and you can barter there as well.

As far as the ocean is concerned, yes it can get rough. You can wade in the water but swimming is difficult at times. Watch the flags and stick together or stick to the pool. You can always head to a public beach on the north side of the seven for some calm waters that are good for the kids. We often take Max to Playa Caracol though it can get crowded there. Playa Langosta is also popular and has far fewer waves.

Happy planning!

4. backhome

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. What's the best way to get to these tours and the Market 28? Are there tour buses that take you or are we on our own to find transportation?

5. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can take the local bus. It's cheap a nd very quick and easy.

Most tours will have you meet up at a certain meeting point/.

6. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  7. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tours & the ocean

While it is true that the ocean currents can be quite strong, we have found that the water can be quite swimable as well, it can change by the day. A lot of the currents movement depends on the weather, of course.

Our tour recommendations are based on the fact that you enjoy swimming in the ocean. We highly recommend you book your tours with an outside company. The same tours can be found for less money and often with liberal rescheduling policies that are not offered at the resorts. Here are a few tours we recommend:

Snorkeling Adventure
    Jungle Tour
    Isla Mujeres-good snorkeling can be found at Garrafon National Park

Other tours we enjoy have less to do with swimming although there will be some available if you are interested:

Tulum-Mayan ruin site often coupled with one of the two following eco parks,
    Xel-Ha eco park-get the All Inclusive meal plan option
    Xcaret eco park-much larger eco park and probably should be done on its own and not coupled with Tulum.
    Chichen Itza-the most spectacular Mayan ruins in the Yucatan Peninsula

Have fun planning your trip,
    212eric V.P.

8. backhome

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice