Exchange rate

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by carrie82, Jul 25, 2007.

1. carrie82

carrie82 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi can anyone tell me what the exchange rate is at the min in Cancun
    from pounds to pesos? The rate for pounds to dollars here at the min is £1=$2.05, I know people recommend getting pesos instead, but I have to order pesos and dont know what rate is until I go to collect them, which is a bit of a bummer... should I get some dollars or wait until I get to cancun and change my money to pesos there, I know some people use ATM's but my bank charges way too much to do this!

2. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The site I just checked said 1GBP = 22.29 MXP

If you are exchanging money before you leave I would suggest getting Pesos instead of Dollars. Dollars are accepted almost universally in Cancun, but you are at the mercy of the merchant for the exchange rate. If you use pesos, you dont have to worry about them setting an arbitrary rate.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry but I don't keep up with the GBP but today and Friday the peso was $10.80 per $1 USD. Early last week it was only $10.62 so this is quite a jump.

This rate is live and in color at my local bank in Cancun. With all due respect to Jason the online rates do not necessarily reflect the market rates here. But Jason's rate does seem reasonable though when I calculate the dollar to the pound and then apply that to the peso.

I do recommend just exchanging GBPs here for pesos. Most large hotels offer rates comparable to the bank rates. The commission is about 2.5% so if you change GBP for USD for MXN you are wasting $$. Just change pounds for pesos for your best deal.

Plus, compared to your prices at home you will really get a bang for your buck here. Don't forget to tip here though. Please and Thank You on the tip thing. The salaries of servers are dreadfully low.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice