Exchange Rate Question...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Ian, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Ian

Ian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola.

If travelling from the UK and having to convert your sterling would you still chose Peso's or given that the US dollar has recently taken a battering on the worlds money markets go for the dollar instead.

I've checked the exchanges and there does seem a marked difference on a % rise in the dollar to £ I just wondered from you local folks if the rise was enough to warrant bringing $ insteadof Pesos as I normally do.

Cheer all.

Ian :lol: :lol:

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,232 / 14
    The peso vs dollar hasnt moved much - if the dollar is weak then so is the peso generally. At the moment it's around 10.6 pesos to the dollar at the cambios, so you'll get a good deal either way. Given that I'd still use pesos.

Just be careful where you exchange, last week BBG was offering 17.6 pesos to the pound at the front desk while downtown the same day cambios were offering 21.6. Via ATM I'd guess you might get as high as 23 to the pound.

3. Ian

Ian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cheers Steve.

Yeah, I'm aware of the rates those ever so charming people at the Blue Bay try to get away with ( I recall them trying to charge me one year to change a $50 into smalled bills once in order to tip their staff with and they wanted to charge me $10 for doing this.

The info is actually for a mate who's booked into The Moon Palace for two weeks over Chrimbo and if the rates had changed significantly between the Peso and the $ I was going to flog him the dollars I had left over from the CT trip with a clean consience, dont think I'll bother now. :lol: :lol:

Ian :lol:

4. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah i get a brilliant exchange rate via the ATM so find it's better to not actually bring money, even though they charge you like £4 for the privelage of getting your own money it still works out better I think.

Love the quote, be careful, they might march against you next!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice