Earliest Time Frame For Safest Booking Post Coronavirus....?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by WestHoustonCouple, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Sarah&Cal

Sarah&Cal Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I set the over/under at July 15th and will take action.
    I have the over though lol..
    I hope I'm wrong cause I can't wait to get back to Temptation but can't see being able to go anywhere till late July

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 2
    Sept at the earliest and that is generous. Even if the virus gets under control in the states/Canada/Europe ..... Mexico is lagging months behind.

After everything loosens in our home countries I am sure there will be a significant period with caution and evaluation for recurrence/ another wave before we start to travel abroad.

If I was betting....October 15th

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  3. mexico24

mexico24 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 2
    Ouch Steve. Sorry, but I have to be realistic. I would love to be wrong and hope I am but the writing is on the wall. We’re scheduled for my wife’s fabulous 50 bday party in June @TTR. We’ve been looking forward to it for a couple years now but “the child is grown the dream is gone”.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    He went to Hospiten, bad choice going to a private hospital if you have no way of paying for it.

Could have gone to the public hospital which is free, albeit not as good as private. Also, that's what Travel Insurance is for. I don't understand why folks from the US always have medical insurance at home but rarely take extra cover out for travel, yet Canadians and Brits who have 'free healthcare' at home, almost always take out specific travel insurance.

On a related note you might remember me going to Houston about 4 or 5 years back for treatment. They did some tests CT Scan, Ultrasound, Blood tests etc (that I paid for in advance) then told me what surgical procedure was needed and wouldn't start until I paid for it in full.

They did the procedure and said they weren't able to fix the problem. Cost me $20K to find out that little nugget of info.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Mexico is about 20 days behind the States, 14 days behind the UK and 7 days behind Canada, if you measure the number of days since 5th reported death.
    Confirmed COVID-19 deaths

Similar results for days since 30th positive case
    Daily confirmed COVID-19 cases

As mentioned previously, social distancing measures, schools, bars and businesses closing were introduced far earlier in the process than other countries.

I really can't see it being Mid October before Mexico is back in business - that's six months away!

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. WestHoustonCouple

WestHoustonCouple Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +221 / 0
    So if we book thru Temptation's own website for resort + flight package for July, 3 months away, & if things haven't open back up yet, will resort work with the airlines to reschedule/rebook our flights & resort dates to a later date, with penalties nor other fees?
    Or is that still too risky too early to book....?

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I really couldn't say. I'm not sure how the hotel/flight combos work if booking via the hotel.

8. txcpl1129

txcpl1129 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +993 / 0
    Yes, it was horrific to experience the Hospiten hospital and lack of service for our friend when he passed...

We had no idea that the ambulance company would take him to that Hospiten hospital, but it definitely opened our eyes to the whole situation. (Not sure if the ambulance company and that hospital are in cahoots)
    I do hear good things about Galenia hospital though...

Hopefully everyone is safe out there, we are planned back down to TTR in Sept and hope all this mess will be calmed down by then...

Happy Easter all!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,603 / 14
    Yes, I remember that. Not rubbing salt in a wound, but that set of procedures and tests, while very serious, were elective. Being elective, that's how they do it. I'm wondering, did they do the full "informed consent" lecture to you about how the procedure might not work in the end, or did they just scoop the cash out of your pocket, metaphorically speaking?

Emergency cases in the states... thelaw called EMTALA... makes things operate differently. However, EMTALA also contributes quite.... um... I might say "catastrophically" to the high cost of medical care in the U.S.

"Don't have doctor? Go to the E.R., they have to see you." Well, yes... but not really. See you, sure? Are you stable? OK, well, then we're done.

But, in the horrible story above about the man with the heart attack... the system Would have kicked in and he would have received treatment. Assuming even a serious myocardial infarction, his chances of recovery would have been orders of magnitude better.

The EMTALA thing also contributes, I think, to how Americans think about going abroad... standard American ignorance about the world. I mean, "Everyone has Emergency Rooms, right?"

I think I'm going to start planning my 2021 travel.

10. SUPnSun

SUPnSun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +419 / 1
    I think our plan will be to book on ‘shorter’ notice, a couple weeks in advance at most. Our March trip was canceled... so we’re ready to go from a theme night perspective.

We’ve done August a few times, so maybe then... We’ll see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice