E mail/Prodigy

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gabesz, Nov 24, 2008.

1. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know this was posted at one time, but for the life of me I cannot find the post that can help resolve the following problem:

Each time I come to Cancun and bring my laptop when I wish to send out an e mail via Outlook, Prodigy blocks my server from being used. Someone has mentioned somewhere that I can change the Outgoing Server SMTP from 25 to something else and not change the SMTP address to SMTP.prodigy.......

Can someone shed a light on this for me since I hate to have to lug the laptop(and yes I do have to lug it along) and not be able to use it sending out e mail. And Gmail is not a solution for this unfortunatelly.

Thanks for the help.

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The port change did not work. Any other suggestions?

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I write this all my mail accounts except Prodigy are working (Gmail, uses other ports) I pick up all my mail using Outlook 2007. This morning Prodigy's mail system appears to be down. The hamsters probably partied too hard and need a few days off. Other servers that I redirect via 587 are functioning perfectly.

I might be better able to help you if I knew the domain you're trying to use. My mail servers (4 accounts) all allow the port 587 redirect. If your mail domain doesn't you will need to contact them and ask if they can do the redirect for you.

Post your domain and I'll try to find a solution for you. I don't need your email address, just the email provider.

You can review this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1838667,00.asp for more info.

And last but not least, and please do not be insulted by the question, but are you sure you configured your mail client correctly? Please name the client software and describe the steps you took.

5. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am very familiar with how to configure outlook to work with e mail. My domain will recognize the 587 port outside of Cancun and anywhere in the world. Somehow though Prodigy blocks my domain which is a private domain. That may be the issue. All other formats of mail work fine except the private domain which is run through a private corporate mail server. With all the firewalls, and spam blockers in place on this server I can send mail from anywhere except Cancun. Seems Prodigy has something againts me. Funny the domain works at the airport though.

And you suggestion is not insulting at all. I do this for a living and sooner or later I will figure it out on one of my Cancun trips. This weekend there was no luck, though I did not put in too much of an effort into it, but figured its worth a try early in the AM.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What a hoot! It works at the airport! Where is it being blocked? A hotel, or a hot spot or a residence?

Next time around, try plugging the ip address in instead of the name of your server(s). It might be a DNS problem. This is a weird one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice