Dry Super Bowl 2008 in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by cancunbound08, Jan 15, 2008.

1. cancunbound08

cancunbound08 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have heard there is a "ley seca" this year for the mexico elections that falls on the Super Bowl and so that day is dry. I have also heard that in past years drinking was permitted in the hotel zone but only in restaurants in hotels and if you were eating. But that this year the ban on alcohol has been extended to cover even the hotel zone. Well if this is the case I will be canceling our trip to Cancun. Its not that we are going there to drink but I would like to watch the Super Bowl with a pint or two, and maybe visit some clubs. And I dont want to watch the Super Bowl in a restaurant in a hotel, but rather go downtown to the Yaxchilan and watch it at Caliente, La Taberna, Club 77 or some other place downtown. Any one know the real deal on this years Super Bowl in Cancun?

Dennis

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    In the past alcohol has always been freely available in the Hotel Zone during elections. I havent heard anything re things being different this time, but thanks for the heads up - I'll get some stocks in :)

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    La Taberna is "concerned" and is trying to make some arrangement. Last I heard the jury is still out.

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And who told you that it had been extended to the hotel zone this year?

5. Snowman_1

Snowman_1 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Caliente was closed last time I was there. Not sure if it's still the case, but hte place was 100% SHUT DOWN.

6. Vic

Vic Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Equal to every business.

Howdy Jim!

HZ has always had a way to not be impacted by the dry law due to obvious reasons however this time the downtown business officially raised a complaint to Alor in this particular regards (and they are right).

The HZ is known as the part of the tourism industry that brings the big $ however the rest in Cancun are not that much far behind yet they do get screwed with this law. Imagine the event of the year (sports wise) and they can't get benefit of it but instead the HZ can... That's kind of wrong.

All they want is to get a the same treatment under the law that those in the HZ get. It seems fare to me.

Cheers.,

Vic
    --

7. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is the latest on the issue with the HZ exemption? One of the local bar/restaurants here in Puerto Morelos claims to have a "special permit" to open and serve drinks during the Super Bowl. We're all gooing ..uh huh and which town official did you purchase this from?

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Stock up ahead of time at the Oxxo or Walmart, get yourself a flask and cooler and get your groove on. It's against the law to sell booze, not consume it as far as I know.

Yes, the law is discriminatory if some businesses are forbidden to serve while others can. I think there must be some concessions made for tourists though, the law is really in place to prevent people from committing the very dangerous crime of drinking and voting. Remember people, if you drink, don't vote.

Dennis, you would really cancel your trip for one dry day? That sounds a bit extreme to me, it's only one day and a silly game. (Canuck ducks for cover from the wrath of the crazy American Football fans)......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice