Drugs and Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by cancundude, Mar 18, 2007.

1. barnstyke

barnstyke Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Karen & Kelly

It would appear to be the norm around the flea market in the hotel zone. Too many people on this thread with the same experiences.

BTW we never saw it anywhere else in Cancun, even the clubs.

Daz.

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like someone else mentioned, I might have actually bought something from a vendor if they weren't harassing me so much to "come here" "look at this" "I give you good deal"....crap!

But the offering of drugs was rediculous, and they actually had the nerve to get upset when I said no. For those of you who haven't been harassed it's proly cause you don't fit their profile or your with someone who's a red flag for them.

Even if I was into drugs, I wouldn't buy blind from someone I didn't already know......that's how you get busted and sent to jail.

Michelle

3. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I noticed that it depended on how I dressed. If I wore a button up shirt and clean cut shorts.......no offers.

If I wore a tshirt with my tattoos hanging out, everyone seemed to offer me something. The worst was being offered the services of a lady of the night while I has walking holding hands with Karen. Thats pretty brazen.

Either way I dont let it bother me. Drugs are everywhere you go whether at home or Mexico. Ignoring them or a simple no does the trick every time.

4. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The same thing with Dan and I - they will offer to take him to the ladies, and he says "I'm with my wife!" - they then tell him I can come and watch!
    Whatever.

Doesn't bother us, part of the experience, and sometimes provides a good laugh!

5. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always dress "down" simply cause I'm use to having to do it here in Chicao......but it just grates my last nerve that they followed me everywhere I went at the market and assummed that I did drugs & didn't seem to want to take "no" for an answer.

Dunno which is worse, the timeshare sharks or the drug dealers!

Michelle

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

That might exp[lain why I haven't seen it.

Dany and I are never in the hotel zone except for being at BBG while he's working and our visits to Philly Cheesesteak.

7. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was harassed at the market in the hotel zone and the one downtown. That's why I stay away from them now......won't give em a dime!

Michelle

8. cancundude

cancundude Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

I remember when I went to Jamaica, it was a real pain in the so-and-so with all the dealers and pushers. At the sandal resort, we weren't exposed to it, but on the beaches, streets, everywhere, it was very in our faces. Even the beach pop-sellers were shouting out 'Coca, fanta, lemon, beer', followed by 'shrooms' and stuff like that. A real pain it was.

Is it mostly locals who will be on our case or is it like in other tourist-paradises, that tourists themselves go down and bring/sell stuff to fund their holidays?

CCD

9. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Always local, young guys. They will walk up, ask if you are looking for "whatever" - just say "no" and keep walking. We have never had anyone harrass us to the point that it was offensive or rude. In fact, they are more subtle than the vendors pushing their wares.

Can't say I've seen anyone selling on the beach or resorts, only in commercial zone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice