Drowning reported north of Tulum

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Michael F., Aug 16, 2007.

1. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I could understand a good deal of it in Spanish. So, what's the gist of this in English for everyone else?

2. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It looks like this was in Akumal Bay, if that's right, there are more drownings there than anyplace else.
    It's a very popular place to snorkel, but you should always wear a life jacket there.

3. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how sad :cry:

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just read about it on LG too. This definitely firms up the choice to wear vests for me. I usually wear one but sometimes neglect to if I think I will only be out there for a bit.

Thoughts and prayers to the family involved.

It usually is calm there, but if you get further out the waves can get a bit rough by the reef. I noticed that over by the cannons there were a few weird currents that made swimming back towards shore a bit difficult. And that was with a vest on.

5. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Perry was out there last summer. I w as sitting on the beach with the kids and he was pretty far out, when he came back his face looked really wierd, and I asked what was wrong, and he said I was in trouble out there, I almost drown!
    And he's an experienced snorkler, so it can happen to anybody.

6. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow! That's an amazing story, Laura!

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How sad.

This fellow was 45 and from California. It looks like he was snorkeling alone when his friends, who were on the beach, a married couple, saw that he was in trouble.

The man swam out to try to rescue him but he was already floating on the surface and presumably dead by the time he got to him.

Wow Laura, Perry is one lucky guy. You need to give him a special hug. Life is such a precious gift.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice