Driving to Cancun 1st Week of June

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunWordWhiz, May 2, 2009.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Car Insurance

Oh yes. Don't even think about showing up at the border crossing without insurance. Although you can price shop, if you're passing through Brownsville to cross at Matamoros, Sanborns, IMHO, is the way to go. Arrange for it online and pick it up at their office in Brownsville. They go out of the way to provide service, including delivering the policy to your hotel, or in our case, arranging for the policy to be waiting at the hotel because we arrived on a Sunday when their office was closed.

http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/

2. CancunWordWhiz

CancunWordWhiz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Details

Those are very important points everyone. Thanks for filling me in!

3. CancunWordWhiz

CancunWordWhiz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Immigration & Customs

Since I'll be crossing the MX border at Matamoros, does anyone know if Immigration and Customs are in the same place or at different locations / or at a different stop point?

I want to make sure that I don't stop along the way for any unofficial people who may be posing at officials. I'm not sure what the situation is right now, but people here are saying pretty ugly things about all the drug related violence.

Any more tips would be helpful, as my drive to Cancun is drawing near.

4. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also make sure that you have all the docs that you'll need for the pups and verify the time span from the vet visit to hitting the border as there is conflicting info out there. Note the fee mentioned too.

"Frequently Asked Question

What are the requirements for bringing my pet to Mexico with me?

You will need a certificate of health for the pet issued by a certified veterinarian issued within fifteen days of departure. You also need a valid certificate of vaccination showing that your pet has had all its vaccinations within fifteen days of departure.
    It would be best to call Mexican government offices directly for complete information. Contact the nearest Mexican Consulate in the United States, or the "Dirección General de Inspeccion Fitozoosanitaria" in Mexico City, Tel. 011-52-55-5571-3124 Fax 011-52-55-5784-3231."

http://tinyurl.com/q857td

"Mexico
    US visitors to Mexico may bring a dog or cat by presenting the following certificates at the border: a pet health certificate signed by a registered veterinarian in the United States and issued not more than 72 hours before the animal enters Mexico; and a pet vaccination certificate showing that the animal has been treated for rabies, distemper, hepatitis and leptospirosis. Certification by Mexican consular authorities is not required for the health or vaccination certificate. A permit fee is charged at the time of entry into Mexico."

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/?page=intl_travel

6. Karl

Karl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The border is called los naranjas , oranges, most east one. Stay on the expressway , till it ends and tells you bridge to mexico. don't turn right into town. if no parking in front go around and park in back their is a lot. then walk in for car papers and fmt. after the border follow the road till big intersection and turn left. road out of town. Nothing is really marked so ask the person in line with you if you can follow then out of town if they know there way. from border to left turn around 2 miles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice