Driving from Chichen Itza to Cancun at night

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by fljoy, Sep 25, 2008.

1. fljoy

fljoy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How safe is it to travel via private tour at night? Will there usually be other cars on the road around 9 or 10 pm? Thanks in advance for any input.

2. LTL

LTL Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just drove to Merida on Wed and returned Thur to Cancun via the toll road. Although it was during the day for me, I would not hesitate to do it at night. The road is barren right now due to the time of year. The only thing that you would have to watch out for is small animals on the road at night and make sure that you have enough gas. Other than that road is in great shape and well market.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Good advice LTL.

To add to that, via private tour it would be as safe as driving along any highway by a driver that knows the road.

If driving by yourself you need to make sure you get the toll road and not the 'old road'... that would be a hair raising experience and take you 3 times longer.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would be cautious if you do not know the area, the road, the customs and the language. If you are in a rental car you are a target for cops, most of whom will make up some infraction and then tell you that you can pay them to go away. The threatened alternative is that they will take your license and tell you that you have to go to the police station and pay your fine. The bribe is considered to be the path of least resistance.

The toll road (Cuota) is the only way to go. As Steve says, the old road (Libre, or free) will take forever, you will cross maybe 200 topes (speed bumps) along the way and the same risks exist.

If you take the Cuota there is at least one Customs check point, right after, like 100 yards, you pay the toll after passing the Valladolid exit.

Just be extra cautious, make sure you have pesos for the toll and a full tank of gas.

Not trying to freak you out but the general rule all over Mexico is that tourists should not be out on the roads at night.

5. fljoy

fljoy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the advise, just trying to weigh in if the Chichen Itza light and sound show is worth the trip. We will not rent a car for sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice