Driving across the border- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok guys, I've had a question posed to me by a friend and I am having a hard time coming up with a definitive answer. Her husband (Mexican, legally in the states), wants to drive down to Cuernavaca. She's concerned about the violence at the border (can't say I blame her).

So, my question to you is, in your opinion, would you want a family member driving across the border into Mexico? Where would the best crossing be? (Obviously Juarez and Tijuana would be the worst, no?)

I thank you in advance for your opinions!

2. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My good friend recently flew to Phoenix and drove down to Hermosillo via the crossing at Nogales.

He isn't Mexican, but speaks fluent Spanish and knows that area very well (originally being from Phoenix and heading South often.)

He crossed the border, spent a week getting drunk, and came back with no problems at all. He did say that people were a lot more cautious than in the past, and at the border he was given some 'safety instructions'. Beyond that, he said it was Mexico as normal :)

3. Cancun Couple

Cancun Couple Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

I lived in the Tijuana area for 4 years and crossed many times. Its safe to do and is usually pretty fast as well. But then I believe they wold have to cruise the border area to get to the turn south for mainland mexico and thats not safe.. Maybe crossing some place in Texas would be best.

Crossing is not the issue. Its being in the wrong place at the wrong time usually. Drive in Day Light hours only and keep your eyes open. If they drive a mercedes or the link I would use something else. Less attention.

:)

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Cancun Couple. It's the trip south you would have to worry about and I don't think even the eastern crossing at Matamoros is immune from that concern. Also, leave the Mercedes or BMW or new Caddy at home. You're just advertising if you drive a "premium" vehicle down from the crossings. Also, don't drive at night.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Clearly the violence is real but how many motorists passing through border areas have been offed?

If it were me I'd take the shortest route. And I'd make sure I had plenty of gas and supplies in the car when I reached Mexico so I wouldn't have to stop soon if I didn't feel comfortable.

If they are going to drive out of their way to avoid Tijuana, Matamoros and Juarez then I say cross near Big Bend Nat'l Park because it's drop-dead gorgeous there.

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks all, your opinions helped my friend, they're going to make the trip.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    http://www.cancunassist.com/newforum/viewposts.cfm?action=viewpost&postid=14503
    From another board:
    "I have arrived!!

OK. I drove a gillion miles from Washington state, and holy sitt!! I don't think I would do that again. The trip that is described on this website, is a bit outdated, so if you drive from Matamoros, be ready jfoe an adventure!! To all those worried about violence, our government is no different than any other... Spewing out untrue propaganda. I never heard a gunshot. And let me just say that I had a truck full of stuff, and it wasn't touched. Not once in four days of crossing some interesting country.
    So, I am here, and broke, and way out of place. I will come to the meeting place on friday for some nice fluent gringo, someone please give me the name of the place again?? I am living with a very mexican family, and I won't be able to handle it much longer. Great people, but a little too different for me to sleep good every night. So, I need to get to work, and at least start networking.

Hope to see some of you soon,

Norm

Norm in Yelm Washington - 26-Mar-2009 9:16 AM (ID: 14503)"

8. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We always cross at Los Indios/Harlingen TX. Nice quiet crossing and you avoid Matamoros.

As suggested, we cross early and get clear of the border well before dark.

We'll be going back north in a few months, and I am not worried at all. I will not be stopping & seeing the sights of Ciudad Juarez though!

9. Mike L.

Mike L. Regular Registered Member

Chicago via Nuevo Vallarta via Canada via Seattle
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Have done it several times... If you use the new (recent) toll highways you can get to Cancun from just about anywhere entering through Texas.

Completely safe and never had a problem at the check points.

:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice