Dragon Mart

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jun 11, 2011.

1. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny but probably not far off!

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    China is well known for its corruption in business practices and in the running of the government, in spite of penalties which include the death penalty for politicians convicted of corrupt practices; however, it seems that even they were daunted by the demands made by Mexican authorities, from top to bottom (one story I was told was they paid off the highest officials, thinking that would do it, but no...).

Walmart was not so squimish, it seems, when it came to meeting the demands.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We don't have any recent reports from Beauty about what may be going on, on the ground at the construction site, but the conversation in Cancun is to the effect that there is considerable opposition to this project from local businesses. The Governor of Quintana Roo is very publicly pushing the project, however, so who knows how this will end.

Tech of Monterrey, a well known Mexican University as I understand it, has agreed to undertake research on the potential impact of Dragon Mart on the local economy.

The Chinese side will tire of the drama and relocate to another Latin Country if things don't start moving forward pretty soon. They considered several other countries before settling on Mexico, and the Riviera Maya area.

4. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did not know you were interested V so I kept current events to myself. Construction stopped about 4 weeks ago do to private issues. The contractor feels the problems will be resolved by the end of September and work will begin again. He did not appear concerned about current events and actually was very excited about the project. He told me that the initial shipments of inventory will come into Progreso until the terminal at Puerto Morelos is revamped (at Dragon Mart expense). The contractor and his family consider me part of their family (wedding, baptism, Christmas diner, etc) so I feel he gives me the straight skinny. Now you know most all I know V.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, Beauty!

So, the Chinese side is still trying to push ahead.

The newspaper article Mat had referred us to mentioned that, at the time, D.M. had not yet applied for necessary permits, the most important of which was an environmental impact statement, as I understand it.

Dragon Mart is a big deal to me, and my students: I teach International Business English, and the Chinese Language. Dragon Mart gets studied in both subjects, from different angles.

My university was asked to do the study I mentioned in the previous post but declined, owing in part, I suspect, to the political sensitivity of the project.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Moving ahead

It's interesting that so many local interests keep finding theories to support their contention that this project is going nowhere, but Novedades today reported that the environmental impact assessment for Dragon Mart has now been completed, and approved. The article also mentions that a number of other permissions are pending in various governmental offices. This doesn't sound like a project that is dead to me....

7. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I said before do not discount the Chinese in their efforts to get this done. They will get it approved quickly and will have it completed before anyone realizes.

8. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wal Mart or Dragon Mart... ;)

Im curious about Dragon Mart, I must admit... Hopefully I can get my hands on some REAL egg noodles, curry pastes etc. that have a bit more "normal" price rather than the current one under the Mexican monopoly when it comes to raising the prices of food items.

Hopefully some mpre decent tasting restaurants will pop up as well.

Other than that... not much that interests me, yet.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You raise an interesting point, Rawkus, with your comment about "monopoly" on foood items, as well as other things, perhaps. This could account for some local opposition. I have one Chinese person in mind in particular who may have benefitted through the years, and is vocal in opposing this project.

Funny how many local businessmen have said, "This will never happen," and given many reasons, supposedly from the inside, why not; but, it seems it's just been wishful thinking on their part.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The Novedades article, yesterday, stated that the Environmental Impact Statement/Study was submitted on July 31, and approved on September 6, just one week later, without notice to the public, or any opportunity being given for public discussion and comment, as is required by the general laws relating to transparency of governmental operations in Mexico. Those responsible were able to keep both the filing, and the approval quiet for three weeks, and more, in spite of intense public interest.

The article says the Governor's Office is the principle driver behind this project, and the Governor himself has spoken favorably of it on a number of occasions, including when it was first announced, back in March, last year.

The article quotes those who question the necesity for all this secrecy, if the project is going forward in a lawful way.

Getting rid of corruption, or the appearance of corruption, seems to be a two steps forward, one step back process.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice