Dragon Mart

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jun 11, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Here's what surprised me, the article spoke of the land to be developed as being near the 3.3 KM mark of the Federal Cancun to Chetumal Highway. Is that the same location they've been speaking of for more than a year? Or, have they changed their mind about where it's going to be?

I wonder if Mexican governmental units have promised to cover the costs of developing the infrastructure, particularly the Port at Puerto Morelos? That will be a big, additional cost of this project, probably to be borne by the citizens.

2. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dragon Mart Location

V, I do not know anything about Km markers...but the location has not changed. The construction sight is slightly south of Moon Palace (10 miles north of Puerto Morelos). You can see it being cleared on Google Earth.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    COSCO is not to be confused with COSTCO.

4. xpat2

xpat2 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Puerto Morelos became a municipality of its own, yersterday, separating from Benito Juarez Municipality".
    Good news! Maybe the potholes in those appalling goat tracks called 'roads' in the colonia will finally be fixed! There is a HUGE one on the corner of the street where Mama Mia restaurant (Delicious pastas and pizzas!) is situated, which has been reported regularly for the past SIX months and NOTHING has been done about it. It is particularly dangerous because there is a large broken pipe dead center which purportedly leads to a cenote below. It is wide enough for a small child to fall into, but as usual, local officials do not give a damn about fixing it (they say they will, but they don't). Probably they would rather pocket the money . . .
    I hope there is a VERY close watch kept on every peso which comes into the coffers of the new Municipality and a closer watch on WHERE it goes. It should be an interesting year . . . Let's make a demand for PUBLIC ACCOUNTING - NOW!

5. xpat2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look for km 332 GOING NORTH. This is roughly where it starts on the landward side of the main road.

6. xpat2

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On Google Earth Street View it would appear to start at km332 going North when compared with the map on the DragonMart website

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All I really care about here is finding a "really good" Chinese restaurant.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Odds are looking up, T.J., although people getting the bright idea of opening a restaurant in a new part of the world doesn't guarantee they know anything about how to cook.

I wonder if part of your disenchantment with Chinese restaurants in Cancun could be the fact that, for the most part, they probably tend to cook Cantonese style?

Because of the bad rap on them, I've never even tried a Chinese restaurant in Cancun! Is the Hong Kong Restaurant, for instance, really that bad??

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,
    I never cared for Hong Kong.

One thing is that none that I have tried has the Chinese style hot mustard.

Cancun Fun found a new place that is really a bargain, at the fairly new Chedraui Santa Fe. As you enter tha plaza it is the first place on the left. They have a few combos to choose from and food is simply piled on the plate. Too much to eat for only $58 and drinks are $12. At least two of the employees are realy live Spanish speaking Chinese. Still no Chinese mustard. I have never been to China so maybe Chinese mustard is some Western creation. I am hoping that Dragon Mart, foodwise, will be somewhat akin to Chinatown in NYC or SF.

I might add that the $4 Combo, a spicy chicken deal, was made spicy by jalapeƱo chiles. I guess my problem here with most international cuisines is that 90% of the time, there does not seem to be persons of the other nationality, making the decisions, so the food is less than authentic. Nonetheless, I continue to patronize them if the food, service, price, etc are acceptable.

JalapeƱos and no spicy mustard - Chinese restaurants - Give me a break.

I am going to go to Mkt 23 when the rains stop, get some mustard seeds, and show someone how to make it.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I agree with you, T.J., about the ingredients. Substitutions destroy the authenticity, and radically alter the flavors of the original recipe.

I say in the two cases you spoke of, substitution of jalapenos for hot, dried red chiles and not bothering to order Chinese mustard (which you know must be imported into Mexico, and available from at least as close as Mexico City) is a kind of laziness, or an effort to keep costs down, without regard to what it is doing to the reputation of the cuisine!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice