Dragon Mart

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jun 11, 2011.

1. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gabesz, never is a very encompassing word and dangles a pretty big Matzo Ball. Additionally, I have been unable to find research or White Papers that offer any support to your position.

I have worked and lived in many parts of the world, including Japan and Japan is a beautiful country. I am also old enough to remember when Japanese imports were very low quality items (post war 50's). There are two ways to learn about history...one is to live it and the other is to read about it. When it comes to the quality evolution of Japanese exports, I have done both. But for those that did not live through Japan's export evolution, here is a quote from "Japan's Quest" by Hunsberger (1964): "The Import hunger and buyer initiatives solved a problem that had previously afflicted Japense exports of factory products: Low Quality, which had caused many people, especially in the United States, to regard Japanese products as cheap junk. These earlier low quality Japanese exports had been designed and produced by Japanese makers who had only limited knowledge of American tastes and standards and who were competing mainly by low prices".

And from "The Allied Occupation and Japan's Economic Miracle" by Dees: "Before WWII, far too large a fraction of the exports from Japan had a well earned reputation of being shoddy."

No one is going to be forced to buy Chinese products. Except for the TV flipper on my desk and the land line phones in my house, I do not own anything Chinese...but...I do not want anyone telling me who I can or cannot buy from. I have earned the right to make my own educated decissions.

In the final analysis, I agree with Rawkus...prices in the Riviera Maya continue to rise. Competition is a good thing! It is time to shake the trees and see what falls out.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Instead of arguing over what each other thinks is gonna be in our future, how about reading CancunMole's Tripadvisor link. Based off the reviews, it's pretty average. Too big, Chinese junk, knock off's, no guarantees.. yada yada. Where I am from, there are tons of these "flea market" malls set up. No thank you!!!

3. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    龍沃爾瑪正在到來。喜歡還是不喜歡,沒有太多的,我們可以做些什麼。至少有可能是一些政客與更多有口袋中的比索。

"The Dragon Mart is coming. Like it or not, there isn´t much that we can do about it. At least there are probably a few more politicians with lots more pesos in there pocket".

I will headed to the Tianguis this weekend to find a pirated copy of Rosetta Stone:Chinese edition.

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Considering how average todays products in Wal mart and other places already are, I see no difference.

Customers will decide if Dragon Mart stays or goes - its up to all of us.

If one doesnt like it, then dont go. Its a simple as that, and its called freedom of competition, haha ;)

IF it can help bring down then Mexican food makers monopoly prices, then... all hail Dragon Mart.

Probably wont ever buy anything there, unless I really like it, but just their presence might shake things up with the big Mex and American companies - thats a win for me, personally.

The local makers push prices on a yearly basis - now they are pissed off that someone else enters the race.

Well, suck it up.

To many, I think its hard to adjust to the thought of USA not being the main powerhouse anymore. Times change though.

5. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Probably slightly off topic, but I always wondered why the Chinese have opened factories in Mexico. While the pay is terrible, I can't imagine that they are paying even less to the Mexico workers than they do their own workers in country.

I can't remember if it's the Maidenform or the Gap factory just outside Valladolid that is Chinese-run. The pay is, of course, terrible and the manadatory work week was (when my SIL worked there) just under 60 hours per week. Yet for the Mayans who don't speak any English or don't want to move to Cancun to work, it is considered a pretty cushy job.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So whats the difference between arguing between us and what other customers in the Middle East think?

Why judge a place in Dubai(!) when it comes to Puerto Morelos?

Considering the HIGH quality of life most Westerners enjoy in Dubai, a economic-outlet might be a bit too low, just like I look at Wal Mart here in Centro.

Cancun is not even close to the standards of Dubai, and will never be, so the gap for them, over there, might be bigger than for the people here?

My suggestion is: Wait for it to come, go there and THEN make up your minds if its "sh*t" or "Brilliant".

If I can find something half-*ss at Dragon Mart cheaper than something of the same quality/lack of quality at Wal Mart/Ched/Home Depot etc. then thats great. :)

7. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Regrettably I too am old enough to remember when Japanese goods started to invade the US. I also remember that the Japanese took over Hawaii with their investment on the islands.th And they are still there though they have lost some of their investements value due to our economy and the poor yen which did not improve over the years. And that is from sub par stuff? Sorry but I never remembered having seen subpar items from Japan. They take pride in what they made. Did they make cheap stuff, sure, but not like the Chinese who make anything and you can go in the US to any Dollar store to buy their junk. True the Japanese had a limited knowledge of what we wanted to start but they learned fast. The Chinese even learn faster and have us supply the ideas to them as to what we want made. They are very fast learners and have put many small business people out of business due to underpricing the market for everyone.

Indeed nobody is forcing anyone to buy Chinese, but I am still willing to bet that if you look at everything in your home today that is less then 15 years old, you will find far more items made in China then you really think you have. Just look at your food items and what you buy in the grocery store. See how many are made in China vs. Mexico or anywhere else?

Competition is good for business that is very true. However the Chinese practice unfair competition. If you try to compete with them they will out price your product in a drop dead second just to take over the industry as they have done to thousands of other companies in the past few years. Look at how many businesses closed due to the comptetion from the Chinese and you will understand. Wal Mart is an ideal example of such. Though an American Co., they sell most of their items made in China. Why? Because its cheap and you buy them because they are cheap.

The only solution here is simple. Avoid buying Chinese products. Buy Mexican, US, Carribean, South American, European products and stop buying anything made in China. That is the only way the Chinese will realize that they will have to compete fairly. Till that happens they will control what we buy and how much we pay for it. Sorry but this is the reality of life and no getting away from it. And I am really afraid that they will try to take over the Mexican market pushing Mexicans out of business as well. They have done it in the US why not in Mexico.

8. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Today's Novadades

Dragon Mart estimates that August-September will begin the first stage, giving full input to development.

He noted that this exhibition center, owned by Real Estate Dragon Mart, is comprised 60% Mexican and 40% by Chinese partners, which together created the concept Chainamex. In turn, the shipping company China Ocean Shipping Company (Cosco) with assets of 17 billion dollars, will handle the logistics operation.

Lopez Rodriguez said that contrary to other points of sale, the Dragon Mart will have a permanent exhibition of products to offer, mostly in the construction industry, hardware and medical equipment. This can ensure that this concept will not be a direct competition with local businesses, as there are inputs of the sector as they could be shoes, toys and textiles.

In that regard, he mentioned that there are some voices against the Dragon Mart, precisely because they consider it a selling point advantage against employers, however, is a misconception because it does not operate as retailers, let alone Chinese traditional products are specific sectors is large-scale sales transactions with a view to the U.S. and Latin America.

He commented that this concept is similar to Dragon Mart-Dubai has exploded in volume trade relations in the region. That is the vision, a kind of international outlet in such a way that sought an operating platform that had the connectivity to achieve the goal. In fact, they were referred to settle in Brazil, Panama and Colombia, but decided on Cancun for being the gateway to the Caribbean and the rest of America as well as its proximity to Miami.

Lopez Rodriguez said that beyond the commercial advantages, the idea is to detonate a marketing medium which in turn will allow business tourism taking advantage of the hotel infrastructure that is Cancun. Exemplified with the Dragon Mart-Dubai, which attracts 3 million and half visitors a year. It's a very ambitious concept which have good track record.

He also mentioned that so far have invested about $ 42 million to acquire land where to build the trading platform, including the cost of final design and improvement of the surface to develop. In July is expected to conclude the processing of building permits, licenses, land use, as well as environmental impact statements.

In response, said he maintained a close relationship with the state government, who signed an agreement with investors to provide facilities to expedite this process, also offered a series of tax incentives to investment flowing.

He stressed that the Dragon Mart is a comprehensive business concept that will generate 5.1 direct jobs per shop, but even help to increase the passenger business segment as contemplated creating a Chinatown, where they intend to disseminate the culture of the Asian country.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice