Dragon Mart

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jun 11, 2011.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Davisod,

You didn't name them. When I go to PM, which is my go to beach, I always stop in the Colonia to that produce mkt about 7 blocks in and buy those 1 lt bottles of coco water. $25 each and a bargain. Last week I bought all two that they had.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    According to various news reports looks like DragonMart has been given approval to go ahead.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Looks like Beauty was a good prognosticator on this one; but, there's still tremendous local opposition to this project.

Frankly, at least in the case of Mexico which, because of WTO rules and Mexico's agreement to finally drop punitive tariffs on Chinese goods which was implemented last year, I'm not sure how this is supposed to hurt local interests.

The strong negative impact of imported Chinese goods on Mexican manufacturing occurred five to ten years ago: now economies on both sides have adjusted to each other, with Chinese labor cost rises over the last three years greatly outpacing Mexico's, which have hardly risen at all in the last ten years.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,
    I have very good friends with a very successful family biz here who import products from China and other Far East locations.

They wholesale to retailers all over Mexico. They are, and have been, fearing for their ability to survive, depending on how this place actually turns out to operate.

People will always want the lowest price and this will hurt ppl like my friends if they are having to compete with this giant, if they are in fact a giant. But they have competition anyway. Personal relationships and great service will only take them so far though and may not offset potentially lower prices.

I doubt DM manufactures what they sell so maybe their sources will be the same as my friends'. Maybe my friends will be just fine since they will have a dramatically lower overhead. I do know my friends are very smart, but they are also great people who are faith based. They walk the walk. I feel they will be just fine in the long run.

I think the biggest concern is what might happen with the port in PM and the destruction of the environment as they have experienced big time in PM with the big resorts and the lack of infrastructure to support them. Drive down to El Cid on a rainy day and you will see what I mean.

We can just sit back and watch.

I was afraid Beauty was going to be right on this. He or she seemed to have superior knowledge and that put us peons at a bit of a debating disadvantage so I did not go there. LOL

5. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can't say I did not tell everyone that they will have this done.

6. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dragon Mart Update

It appears many of you had Crow for Christmas. Dragon Mart is back and is here to stay....and I TOLD YOU SO! The elections are history and the newly elected are on board (city, state and federal...all the way to the top). There is a brand new bill board south of the airport on the Autopista announcing the Dragon and the construction equipment will be back the first week in January. 2014 IS the year of the Dragon. Happy New Year and Welcome Back Dragon Mart

7. aziano

aziano Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know this thread is old but I just like to include that Mexican businesses will suffer if this goes ahead. I've seen it happen in Manila which is now a Chinese business enclave. Pity the Mexican businessman.

8. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I said this in 2012 and I still stand by it. Mexico should object to this project since the Chinese will take over all the small businesses just like Wal Mart does. Except they will do far more financial harm to Mexico than Wal Mart ever could.

9. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Gabez

I really don't understand the Walmart thing. Walmart doesn't have the lowest prices for stuff in Mexico. Mega offers lower prices for most food especially seafood, and tortillas, etc. can be gotten for much lower although cancun seriously lacks tortillareas imo.

Sams Club can offer pretty good rates but they are also matched by the place next to Mega. (in PDC)

Sorianas has lower rates in Cancun than Walmart, you can find some stuff but in general I'd say Walmart is actually a little more expensive by a few cents for almost everything. Do a price comparison.

Now for non produce that may be another matter but I found their prices high for most stuff, and way higher than stateside or Canada. Electronics for instance run way higher and they can have limited stock, they still cary some things no one else carries though.

This dragon mart I suspect will sell to businesses and tourists and locals who are willing to drive down.

Mexicans tend to be pretty hardy nationalists imo though, Mexicans are very proud, so I expect this to cater to businesses, and tourists and people who live in PM/colonia. There is no mall im PM so this offers a chance, plus it could actually bring more tourists into PM which will improve the local economy.

There really isn't a whole lot in PM so I think this will if anything reduce logistics costs for Mexicans.

All in all though there is no walmart in PM.. there are 3 corner stores then a fourth all the same. They only sell snacks more or less...

Lots of small restaurants also.

However not much retail.. imo businesses that might get hit on this are places like the furniture store that's pretty much it. But with all the new houses being built it may well not even be effected. And maybe people from china will buy mexican?

How this plays out for PDC and Cancun imo and the hotels along the strip imo is that some peripherial business may be reduced and that maybe is just maybe.

Although I am wondering where exactly this thing is being built.... is it in the swamp along the strip between PM and the colonia...?

Currently really floods improvement to that road will be good.

Although sad, although I only really saw birds and alligators in there, or birds. with fear of aligators.

None the less, does anyone have info on the environmental impact...?

how does that impact compare to a resort?

IMO though there really is not much likely damage to Mexican businesses as anyone could import this stuff anyway if they knew it existed, and like the one guy on here said, there are importers who connect people to this stuff.

The only question is will importing cost less than buying off places like AliBaba. What I could see existing though is one less OXXO in PM as a result, if that is possible in Q.Roo.

10. brayan123

brayan123 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Creo que china beneficiaria mucho el comercio mexicano ya que los chinos tienen tecnología más avanzada y su producción en cuanto a ropa y calzado es muy buena, por eso creo que china no viene con intención de dañar sino de aportar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice