Dragon Mart

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jun 11, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    There is certainly no "need" for a Dragon Mart, any more than there is for any number of new hotels, but I believe the opposition to the project was aroused primarily by the grand scale of the project, and the fact that the plan was to bring in 5,000 Chinese and their families along with it.

From what I've been told there has been historic resistance to immigration, and immigrants, from China to Mexico. Anti Chinese feelings seem to find easy expression among those I've talked with. Given that Chinese products make their way into Mexico in very large amounts already, I have to believe this is what actually accounts for the vehement and continuing opposition to Dragon Mart.

2. mrbear

mrbear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    china dumping there dollars

china is trying to dump there dollars anyway thay can before the rummored dollar collapse? or what does the post think.

3. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had to giggle when I read the last few posts...O ye of little faith...still believing what you read in the newspaper and from the forum people that only know what they read in the newspaper. Dragon Mart will be here soon and I find it hard to believe so many are doubting it. Have you forgotten how Mexico works...elections and money and the sky will be blue again.

4. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I notice you said "It". How about "them"???

I'm feeling kinda poetic for some reason....

The sky will be blue
    We now have Wal Marts
    Money speaks volumes
    Soon there'll be Dragon Marts

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If this gets rammed down people's throats, as Beauty insists it will be, it won't be the first country I've lived in in which popular will did not carry the day on public issues, but in light of recent local government decisions I'm growing doubtful this project will come to pass, even in its modified and reduced form that has been offered.

We often visit Puerto Morelos and I, for one, would not welcome the changes this mega project would bring, situated- as proposed- so close to P.M.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Amen V.

7. Buffett

Buffett Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If someone can give Walmart a run for their money I am all for it.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In this case Buffett, most likely you would not. There are other shopping options here to Walmart. Personally, I don't find a need to go to Walmart anymore. Mega and Soriana have convenient locations, as well as Costco and City Club allow me not to need Sam's Club.

But IMHO, hardly anyone in this area really wants or needs Dragon Mart.

Now, a downtown Margaritaville, at downtown prices, would really rock. Lol

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Puerto Morelos was still lovely back in 2007. Relatively small and quiet.

With or without Dragon Mart, its grown too big and lost its charm, much like whats happening with Playa del Carmen and soon enough with Tulum.

El Cid(I think?) was the ones that cut off the direct access that the mangrove had to the ocean in Puerto Morelos.

Why is there such a need to destroy sooo much? Stupid question, I know, as the answer is: $$$.

Just sad, really.

10. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it was El Cid. Then next door to it was the NH, which sold to Now Jade - and now Royal Resorts will open a mega resort "residence" next to that in Dec./13. My groovy little town's groovy little vibe goes with every new tourist couple/family wanting his/her fancy Eggs Benedict from a tourist-trap restaurant, and the quintessential souvenirs, when in 2007 as you say, it used to be Huevos Rancheros in a true Mexican restaurante, and the beads the jungle hippies brought into town. Many of us are starting to seek out and enjoy the experience of la colonia and Villas Morelos I across the Carretera Federale. A seafood place, and a steak place there are awesome, to name just 2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice