Downtown-shopping & dining

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by siki00, Apr 8, 2007.

1. siki00

siki00 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

If we go downtown, where are most of the shops and restaurants?

Thanks.
    Michelle

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Av. Tulum - Take the R-1 bus

Av. Yaxchilan - A 3 minute walk, through the park, west of Tulum. The nighttime capital of downtwon.

Market 28 - a 5 minute walk from Yaxchilan.

For daytime, take the R-1 bus from the Hotel Zone, get off at the first stop once you turn onto Tulum. Walk the street to the north, the direction the bus was heading. Take a taxi to Market 28 for $15 pesos from Tulum.

Coming back from Market 28, walk back to Tulum or take a taxi. They will try to whack you for $30 pesos if you take from the Market 28 parking lots. But just walk to the street and catch one for $15. Take it back to Burger King on Tulum and you can get a bus back from this area to the HZ.

Check this map:

www.caribbean-on-line.com/cn/cnmap.shtml

3. siki00

siki00 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you! That is very helpful. :D

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kudos TJ
    Couldn't have said it any better -- & a nice map to boot.

BTW - for anyone that isn't aware, the $30 and $15 that TJ is talking about are pesos, so think $3 and $1.50 before you have a heart attack thinking that taxis in downtown Cancun cost as much as in Manhattan

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you.

And speaking of Manhattan, where a ride of a similar distance around town here costs $1.50 US really costs $5-$10, rides to JFK from Midtown are fixed at $45 plus a $3 toll. You are metered from Midtown to LGA. It is right at $30 if you tell the driver to go through Central Park up to the south side of Harlem, 123rd St. I think. but $5 more if they take other options.

But the big difference in pubilc transportation is in the subway compared to the metor in Mexico City. A NYC token for a single ride is $2 US, but the same deal in D.F. is $2 pesos, or about $.18, yes, 18 cents. Now that is a huge difference in price while the trains are largely the same in terms of condition and the rourts and transfers are pretty much alike too.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But who really cares about NYC except me, di and 212 eric, and they both live there.

So sorry for all the NYC rambling.

7. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good advice TJ

And I care deeply about NYC :D

The real hidden bargain to get to the airports from Manhattan are the Port Authority operated shuttle busses. They leave from Penn Station, Port Authority and Grand central to LGA and JFK. Cost each way is about 8 dollars last time I used that service. Subway is always an option also. Its a bit trickier to get to LGA, but fairly direct to JFK.

8. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    These have to be packed.
    Then again - with as few people knowing about them as might be the case (you sure don't see these mentioned in Fodor's) - maybe not.
    Awesome tip. Thx!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice