Downtown Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gene37412, Apr 4, 2008.

1. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did anyone else happen to read the report on Yahoo about down-town Cancun? According to FORBES Down-town Cancun is one of the 8 or 10, I forget which, biggest tourist rip offs in the world. The part I found interesting is that it wasn't directed at the Hotel Zone, which I always thought was way over priced but accepted because it is a tourist zone, but rather just the down-town area. According to FORBES one can get a much better deal by staying out of El Centro. Whats your take on this?

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Having stayed El Centro the last 5 years I just cant believe that one. I have done a lot of pricing and I cant stay a week in the HZ but we stayed 11 days DT. Only thing we do in the HZ is to go to the beach.

I dont see the rip-off.

3. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    when I read the article I was left with the impression that FORBES wasn't talking about hotel prices....just prices in general.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My guess is a Forbes writer didn't get comp't or otherwise got a hair up his arse about something and decided to take it out on Cancun. I haven't read the article but from your summary it sounds like a work of fiction.

Is there a link to the story online?

5. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some of the other places mentioned in the article was the Taj Maha, Leaning Tower of Pizza, Noter Dame.

6. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can someone link to it, please?

7. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish I had book-marked this page so I could refer back to it.....oh well hind site is always 20/20 isn't it. I can't find it again but yesterday, April 3, 2008 it was on the front page of Yahoo.

8. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wonder if the writer made the same mistake a lot of tourists make - calling the party center area in the hotel zone "downtown"?

9. Dangers

Dangers Enthusiast Registered Member

In a Little Cafe on the Other Side of the Border
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was thinking the same thing.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of tourist traps are cruise ships ports of call. That and tourist spots that are one trick ponies.

Below is the small blurb, the writer tossed up on Forbes that I saw, one has to flip through the various Forbes photo clips to catch it:

Downtown Cancun, Mexico

You're off to Mexico and this is not a deep cultural studies trip—you want cocktails on the beach. Fine, but this doesn't mean you have to set foot in downtown Cancun, mothership to all spring break clichés, unfunny t-shirts and expensive, watery booze alike. What you want are tasty waves and a cool buzz—and a modicum of quiet in which to enjoy them.

http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-lists/tourist-traps-story.html?partner=fp_tourist_traps

'Cause they don't dance like Carmen no more...
    :cool:

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah... another "expert" who has no idea what they're talking about.. He clearly was making the 1st time tourist mistake of thinking that Cancun IS the Hotel Zone, and "Downtown" is where DadyO's and CocoBongo are.

Sadly, many, many, many, people believe everything they read and therefore are horribly misinformed on this and other issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice