DON'T use your credit/debit cards in Mexico

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Vegas, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Vegas

Vegas Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sigh.....

I've heard reports about it, but somebody finally tried to get me. My bank caught it, but my debit card # apparently got "skimmed" in Cancun. I'll have to go dig through my bank statement to see which restaurants I used it at.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

2. Ken and Darcie

Ken and Darcie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    ive been using a credit card for 6 years whenever i travel to mexico and have never had a single problem. You could have this problem anywhere you use it. Ive been screwed in the US 3 times in the past and the bank has always caught it.

3. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    credit cards

Sorry you had trouble with your card, but I've been using my credit cards and debit cards in Cancun for several years (I live in Cancun full-time) and never had a problem. I've had my purse stolen and still no problems. So, please don't scare everyone by being overly dramatic. As the other poster mentioned, this sort of problem could have happened anywhere and is not exclusive to Cancun. (maybe I'm being a bit defensive, but I'm sick of all the negative things people are saying about Cancun lately. we have our problems, sure...but the things that are being reported can, and DO, happen anywhere in the world.)

4. Ken and Darcie

Ken and Darcie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    great reply susan!

5. Snowfog

Snowfog Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had this happen to me a few years ago. Visa called me and asked if I had been making any purchases in Cancun in the last few days. The weird part is that it happened a full 6 months after I had returned. Visa was very much on top of things and had the charges removed immediately. They never even showed up on my monthly statement.

I agree with the previous posters that this type of thing can happen anywhere so it hasn't stopped my from using my credit card on subsequent trips. Also, it's an air miles card so I don't want to miss out on the points.

To protect yourself against this type of thing here's a little tip. Whenever I travel I bring an empty envelope and keep it in one of the pockets on my suitcase. I keep every receipt I get and put them in the envelope as soon as I return to my hotel room (they're easy to lose or misplace if you don't put them in right away). When I return home I have every receipt for every purchase I made in one place. Then, if anything happens you have an accurate record of all the cc, atm or debit transactions you made during your trip.

Rgds
    Snowfog

6. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's great info fogwilp. Also you can get your info taken pretty much anywhere. Not sure how they got it, but a couple of years ago one of my card numbers was compromised. I only use it to buy gas and I bought a couple of things online for Christmas. The company called and asked if I had been to the Philippines anytime recently. Seems somebody had bought airline tickets over there using my card. So it was either compromised at my local gas station and sold to somebody or it was filched off of the internet. Oh yeah, and I'm a vet and there was something in the press about that time about SSNs being stolen from one of their databases.

As some people here have said, it happens all over the place sadly enough.

7. madao

madao Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your in a restaurant, or shop, make sure they come to you with the card terminal or you take your card to it. Dont let them disappear with the card and have them bring you back a reciept.

This applies anywhere not just Cancun. Card skimming is a world wide problem, devices on ATM's, dodgy retailers etc. Just be aware what you, or anyone you give your card to, is doing with the card and you wont have a problem.

8. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have to say i've never had any trouble here or anywhere else with my card but it does worry me here when they take your card in places like the cinema and you don't even need to sign for it, makes you think that anyone could steal your wallet and use the card, even if you do sign they don't even look at the signatures in places like Chedraui, we've tested it before, where i've used my wifes card and just done any old signature and they just accepted it! So the only advice i'd give is if you lose you cards or have them stolen, get it reported right away because they are quick at reacting here, i've had the machine eat or misplaced 7 bank cards since i been here and never lost anything!

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My credit card company has optional email alerts. I have it set up so that if more than $50 USD at a time is charged to my card I get an email. That way I can check the purchase to see if it's mine or not.

I have one credit card that I use in Mexico, but I'm careful where I use it. I've never had a problem with anyone stealing it, well not yet anyway.

10. Eric_n_Cryss

Eric_n_Cryss Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've considered getting a prepaid card and just putting a certain amount on it and using that. Using my primary card in emergencies only.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice