DONATING TO THE HURRICANE RELIEF EFFORT

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by RiverGirl, Aug 23, 2007.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lots of folks have been asking me where to donate to help victims of Hurricane Dean. After some research I'm recommending that people donate to either the International Red Cross or to the Mexican Red Cross.

The International Red Cross accepts credit card donations and you can specify that the money be used specifically for Hurricane Dean relief efforts. The Mexican Red Cross asks for wire transfers (yuck).

Donate to International Red Cross: http://donate.ifrc.org/

Donate to Mexican Red Cross: http://www.cruzrojamexicana.org.mx/vuspaginf.cfm?tema_id=12448

2. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is important so I'm going to make this a stickie for a while.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Karan!! I just made my donation through the International Red Cross site and it took under 5 minutes total.

4. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also have a very dear friend who works as an EMT with the Red Cross in Playa del Carmen, they took a convoy of supplies and medicine to Majahual today. they do not have a paypal account set up yet, but hope to soon.
    In the meantime if anyone would like to send money to the Red Cross in Playa del Carmen, they can send a check to me at:

Laura McFarlin
    9689 NW 47th Court
    Polk City, Iowa 50226

Make checks payable to
    Cruz Roja Mexicana I A P

I will Fed Ex the checks down to them in Playa next week. They have no problem depositing U.S. checks to their bank account.

As soon as they do have a paypal account, I will post it here

Thanks!

5. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there a way to donate clothes etc... from Cancun?

6. Dangers

Dangers Enthusiast Registered Member

In a Little Cafe on the Other Side of the Border
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the thread Rivergal, good stuff here and much needed in the Costa Maya region where the damage estimates locally are rising as the government takes stock of the devastation.

7. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep...took me under 5 minutes total too! Time very well spent in my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice