Do you have hurricane insurance

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by eutiqueo, May 30, 2007.

1. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes if you have a "póliza amplia" it covers from damage of wind, water, trees falling, etc.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    eutiqueo

Car insurance is a separate policy. mine is with Qualitas. If you bring in a car from the USA, either as a tourist, or with an FM3, the permit is called Permiso de Importacion Temporal. You can buy car insurance through a USA company at www.mexicanautoinsurnace.com. You cannot buy a policy from them for a car with a Mexican title.

My car was totalled by Wilma, and the Mexican company, Qualitas, paid off reasonably quickly considering the magnitude of Wilma. But I did have to stay on top of them.

Coming from Florida I am well aware of policies regarding hurricanes. State Farm keeps raising my deductible and then I have to share a percent of the loss.

The main deal is that the flood insurance in the US is for damage from FALLING WATER, not from RISING WATER. So if this happens to you in the US the strategy is to go outside and creativly rip off enough of your roof before calling the insurance adjuster.

Another interesting thing about storm damage in the US, or Florida anyway, is that if MY tree falls on YOUR house, it is your problem and not mine, unless you have notified me by certified letter that my tree is dead or has a broken limb that is in danger of falling.

During hurricane Charlie, I had it both ways as I am in the real estate business. Some of my trees crashed into other peoples buildings and vice versa.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice