Do I need my FM3 to fly within Mexico? (IMN has it)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Alma Libre, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Our FM3 is in tramite right now, but we'd like to fly to DF.

We'll need ID to board the plane, but we wont have our original FM3. We have passports (with no tourist visa obviously) and our CDN driver's licenses.

Gracias
    Rob

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Immigration has no problem with you traveling in Mexico while your FM3 is in renewal.

I suggest bringing a photocopy of the stamped FM3 renewal form with you as proof you are in the country legally, just in case you need it. I'm not sure what form of ID the airline will ask for, but if you have the FM3 renewal form and your passport it should be more than enough.

3. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for this. Sounds good.

Rob

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interestingly enough, when I've provided immigration with both my passport and FM3, they tossed my passport to the side like it was useless and didn't take a look at it. lol. Figures.

5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to travel even out of the country when my papers were in trĂ¡mite and would just get an "oficio" and have no problems.

6. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    My daughter has flown within Mexico with just her school ID- no passport or FM3 nec.
    Tracey

7. Alma Libre

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've flown out of the country while in the midst of my FM3 before...needed the "salida" letter, but I've never flown domestically while in the midst.

In fact, this will be the first time we've flown within Mexico. We've been all over, but we usually drive everywhere!

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am certain that you can travel within Mexico with only your passport. I have done so in the past many times. Before I got my FM3 I just used my passport and don't remember ever needing my FMT tourist card.

Better to be safe than sorry I would definitely take a copy of the old one and maybe a copy of your already submitted application for the renewal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice