Divers Packing List

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by NormsKid, Dec 15, 2003.

1. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In addition to the things listed in Critters packing list (link is in the first-timers---start here thread) all CERTIFIED DIVERS should also add the following things (subject to your dive needs): Simply print out this list and cross off each item as you put into your suitcase.......

DIVE EQUIPMENT

Mask
    Snorkel
    Fins
    Booties
    BCD
    Regulator
    Octo
    Gauge
    Dive watch
    Dive computor
    Dive table
    Wetsuit
    Dive skin
    Gear Bag
    Mesh bag
    Slate & pencil
    Whistle
    Compass
    Underwater light
    Weight belt
    Tank light
    Lanyard & clips
    Log book
    De-fogger
    C-Card
    Knife
    Hat or visor
    Sunglasses
    Dive Insurance Card
    Name, address & phone number to the nearest Hyperbaric Chamber to where you will be diving.
    O ring kit
    Extra fin straps
    Extra mouthpiece
    Cable ties
    Dry box
    Underwater camera

FIRST AID KIT:

Band aids
    Gauze pads
    Alcohol swabs
    Immodium
    Seasick meds
    Neosporin
    Cortizone cream
    Waterproof sunscreen
    Sunburn ointment
    Waterproof tape
    scissors
    tweezers
    Asprin or Tylenol
    Swimmers ear
    Laminated copy of your emergency contact info
    (including your primary care physicans info), list of known allergies, list of current prescription medications

Lost luggage can ruin a scuba vacation. Carry on anything you can't easily rent or replace.

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Great list Michelle. The only thing someone might forget after this list is their dive partner. :D But you can always find a new one of those huh? 8)

Jamie

3. Steve in Seattle

Steve in Seattle Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    holy crap thats a big list. I'm getting PADI certified in the Puget Sound and was under the impression that most equipement is provided for you if you go with dive shops. The "bare essientials" I was told is:

Mask
    Snorkle
    Regulator

Obviously the first aid kit is a great idea, and a set of fins you prefer would be good (I will if I can dig up the money for a set before I leave in May), but isn't the rest of it usually "rentable" safely?

Maybe I'll get me a fancy titanium dive knife while I'm at it. :)

What's you take on rental equpiement in Cancun? Is it safe to "rent"?

4. Steve in Seattle

Steve in Seattle Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgive me if this sounds stupid (I'm not a diver yet... still checking out dive shops for lessons in the area), but why do you need booties for Cancun?

I thought those are usually just for cold waters?

5. KenOklaCity

KenOklaCity Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When we first started diving we rented everything with the exception of fins, mask, and booties. If you stick with a place like Manta Divers, you'll be able to rent decent equipment. If you find that you really enjoy diving, then start buying your equipment when ever you are able to afford to do so. You wear the booties so the fins wont rub against your feet and cause blisters. You also use them as shoes for short distances.
    As far as that list goes, its not really as bad/long as it looks. Alot of that equipment is actually assembled into on thing. Like the reg, octo, dive computer, compass, are all one assembly for myself.
    Ken

6. Steve in Seattle

Steve in Seattle Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok good. I have a friend of mine that's a Navy diver and that's basicly what he told me. Take the lessons, buy some good snorkle gear, and IF you want to get more diving in buy one piece at a time (as budget permits of course).

Seeing how Cozumel is "the" divers destination, I'm told it would be criminal to pass up the opportunity. :)

Those titanium dive knives are kinda trick too.... :)

7. Rondo

Rondo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice list Michelle.

A few things I also find handy are a Pak-Towel(rolls up the size of a coke can),they're great for absorbing saltwater off your face after a dive.

A kayak,plastic dry bag,perfect for rolling up important items on those totally wet boats(best investment I've made).

After Bite itch eraser,for the first aid kit,it's basically a small ammonia/mink oil stick,good for nuetralizing any of those stinging cell coral or jelly fish.The nice thing is it doesn't leak like a bottle of vinegar or ammonia can.

8. scubadude

scubadude Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice list but I heard you are only allowed to bring $300 worth of goods into Mex. My dive computer alone is past that limit.

9. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    You would be alright in bringing that.

The $300 limit is one multiple items that you might sell. They are trying to keep people from importing things as travelers. If you have stuff that you would normally use as personal items on a trip, then they don't worry about that. If you brought $500 worth of $10 shirts for a 2 day stay then they would want to talk to you.

Jamie

10. UNODIVER II

UNODIVER II Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DITTO FOR THE DRY BAG FOR ON BOARD STUFF THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP DRY. They sell on several on site stores a roll up dry bag duffle for about 36.00.. this is a must have, towels etc.

After I certifed the first pc of equipment I bought was a regulator. As this is your lifeline and I did not like the idea of putting my mouth around something a whole bunch of people have. Yea I know they say it is safe but if you watch all you will often see is somebody dipping in fresh water.
    Question? Would you open mouth kiss 40 strangers? Whoaa maybe there are some but not me, at least not all. I have caught several colds about 5 days into my trip while using rental equipment... soooo, at least bring some disinfectant... might be prudent, as there are other things to be passed along.

John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice