DEVLYN EYEWEAR - PLAZA LAS AMERICAS

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Oct 31, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We hear about merchants to avoid (Sergio Pilati Muebles) but DEVLYN did a super, over and above the call of duty job for me and I want to acknowledge it. They sell prescription glasses and high end sunglasses. Their stores in some of the malls are easy to spot with the green letters of their signs. I simply am overwhelmed by what they did.

I bought a pair of Coach sunglasses as a gift for my bff. She soon noticed a hairline crack on the part that came aross her nose. DEVLYN graciously exchanged them for another pair, although the tint was a bit different.

I gave her the other pair and when she took them out of the box they had the same kind of crack that the first pair had. I did not even think to inspect them at the store. This pair never even went on her head.

We went back again the next day and DEVLYN suggested we pick out another pair. She looked all over the store and I insisted that we find something that we both liked. Well, don't you know what we both liked the most was a pair of Dolce & Gabanas. I swallowed hard and said they were perfect. She offered to pay the difference, but I said it was my gift but it was now her next year's birthday present as well.

I asked what the price difference was although I already knew it. They spoke among themselves for a minute or two and finally said NADA. I mean the Coach's were not cheap but the D&G's were deadly.

I have never heard of such a thing in Cancun, let alone have it happen to me. Now, every time I walk by the store I always look for these two wonderful ladies and wave or walk in to say "hola".

DEVLYN IS NUMERO UNO IN MY BOOK.

2. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    devlyn

Great to hear, TJ!

A couple of years ago, I lost my glasses (while wearing my prescription sunglasses). I rushed to Devlyn, since I didn't know of any other shops that would make glasses fast. I can't see a thing without my glasses!

I was surprised to find that they had my prescription in stock and they made my glasses in 15 minutes!! Can you believe that?? The price was about the same as I've paid in the US. The ladies working in the store were very helpful and nice. (That NEVER happens when I shop anywhere here.)

My only beef with Devlyn is that every pair of frames is locked down. I look at lots of frames before I decide on anything. I hated having to have someone follow me around the store to unlock every pair I wanted to see. Other than that, I had a nice experience there too.

3. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am happy for both of you.... Unfortunately I don't have the same experience :(

I went there once because I couldn't find my contact lense, my eye was in pain and I asked if they could check if it was inside. The "optometrist" or whatever looked, and said no, there is nothing. The following morning, I found the lense half out at the corner of my eye. :evil:

I went back a few month ago for a prescription (I have very bad eyes, and I need progressive lenses and glasses). They knew NOTHING about what they are selling. I know exactly what I want, they couldn't tell me if it was what they order. My glasses come from Essilor, it takes several days to get them. Depending on your use, there are different models (technically different).

In my opinion, the best one here is next to Hotel Maria de Lourdes, on Yatchilan. They have been very nice and competent.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the most miserable experience with them. They FUBARed my prescription three times, with a 5 to 7 day wait between attempts. After two misfills of the right lens, their third attempt put the right prescription in the left lens and the left prescription in the right lens. Between that and trying to get an accurate pupilllary distance using a tape measure, I knew I was confronting the creative incompetence that so afflicts service businesses in Cancun.

Each time they tried to convince me that I would get used to the new lenses and implied that I was just being "difficult".

Fortunately, I kept a copy of my complete prescription, including the PD and frame size and had a pair made in the US and Fedexed to me.

As with the majority of the people behind the counter at the pharmacies here, the people at Devlyn, despite their white coats, know so little that it is absolutely terrifying that they assume you would trust them.

There are several private practioners in Cancun who are trained and have the latest equipment and real degrees in the various disciplines of eye care. My wife has dealt with PerfectVision on Bonampak. I would suggest if anyone needs anything beyond a simple pair of sunglasses, that's the kind of business to look for, i.e. one with a degreed doctor in charge of the facility and not a bunch of muchachas in white coats.

End of rant.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow! That is bad!

Sounds like this place might be ok for buying sunglasses, not for anything involving prescriptions.

I'm so glad my husband gave me Lasik for my birthday 6 years ago. That was the best present anyone ever gave me.

I avoid the whole thing by only buying sunglasses from a fence! No taxes, low prices, no problem! :) Just kidding!

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All I know is that my experience was wonderful. And my bff today had on her cool as hell sunglasses on and reminded me that they looked really great on her.

Poor jenlieb. Nothing ever seems to go right for you. I buy my contacts by the box and that seems to be pretty idiot proof. Sorry you and Mix did not share my pleasant experience.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the difference is you were dealing with a commodity item, non-prescription sunglasses, while Jen and I were dealing with what is effectively a medical situation. I have no doubt that they were polite and cooperative when it came to exchanging the sunglasses. It was only when dealing with something that required competency that things went belly up.

The people who work there have minimal training and minimal tools to provide what is a very complex service. Hence my suggestion that a service provider that has at least one university degreed professional on premises at all times is the better choice if you're going for prescription eyeglasses.

8. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J, why are you so grumpy today? :lol: What happened to you???

I read 2 messages you posted, none very pleasant for the original poster. You have your own criterias and needs, for the furniture as well as optical stuff, Windknot, Mixz1 and I (and probably many others) have different ones. Do you know what antics or artwork means? Also prescription glasses? We are not talking about the same thing. As for the contact lenses, I too buy them by boxes... in France, those I need don't even exist here (nor in the US). It happened to me several times to "lose" one, and unable to find it. Am I an idiot for that? Certainly Devlyn didn't help!

For sure I need to go abroad (like you) to find sophisticated stuff and competent people once in a while. Why do you grind your teeth like that?? :roll:

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just can't get enough of that dry humor. I'm cracking up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice