Desire RM (Mar 24-Mar 26 2017) trip report

Discussion in 'Desire Resort' started by Cheers2US, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Cheers2US

Cheers2US Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +617 / 2
    My husband and I spent 3 days and 2 nights at the luxurious Desire Riviera Maya (in Bahia Petempich) from March 24 to March 26 2017. This was our second visit.

The resort was excellent in every way. Hotel room was lovely, grounds were beautiful, beach and pool were great, excellent food, excellent staff, fun entertainment. I can’t think of anything bad about this resort other than it is a bit over my budget (hence the super short trip) and maybe something was put into my drink (maybe, maybe not) I'll get to that later.

Our hotel room was a garden view room on the 2nd floor (no elevators) You enter the room from the outdoors so on the second floor, the “balcony” is shared with the other rooms. Our room was small and did not have a full-length mirror (on our first visit, the room had a mirror) But the room was fine, perfect for sleeping and getting dressed. There was a small fridge (with 4 cans of beer, bottles of water and I forgot what else) There were plenty of towels and 2 bathrobes supplied. We kept the room tidy so we did not request housekeeping at all.

[​IMG]Desire RM

[​IMG]Desire RM

The food was great. We ate at the buffets (el Arricefe and Tentazione) mostly but also had 1 dinner at Sahlo and 1 hibachi dinner at Suki. Both those dinners required reservations, but “El Capitan” made it easy to reserve: he came to us asking if we needed reservations, wow! I was dreading having to pause my already-short vacation to go find someone to make reserverations, but he was a godsend when he saw us and came to us. Muchas gracias, El Capitan. (I forget his actual name, it might be Esteban. He walks around in a pink shirt. He has hair like Vince McMahon LOL. He supervises the restaurants and everyone refers to him as “El Capitan”)

At Sahlo, we asked for dessert, but we didn’t have the menu, so we didn’t know what to specify. The waiter came out with a huge tray decorated with candies, macaroons and chocolate syrup. THEN, he took a hollow chocolate ball (size of a bowling ball) and put berries, biscuits and IDK what else, then poured in what looked like dry ice. It was a great visual. He stirred everything up then dropped it on the tray so it all burst out, like a pinata. Very entertaining but way too much dessert for just me and my husband!

VIDEO OF COOL DESSERT AT SAHLO

[​IMG]SAHLO_dessert

At Suki, the hibachi was just superb. They didn’t ask what we wanted, but did ask if we had any food allergies. The only thing we ordered were drinks; the food came out automatically. First we were given a small tray of sushi and then 2 spring rolls. The hibachi chef was very entertaining and talented. He cooked fried rice, veggies, chicken, steak and shrimp with flair and fire. Not only was it fun to watch but it was delicious to eat.

[​IMG]Suki Spring Rolls @ Desire RM

[​IMG]Hibachi chef @ Desire RM

[​IMG]Suki Hibachi at Desire Riviera Maya

[​IMG]Suki Hibachi dinner @ Desire RM

[​IMG]Hibachi at Suki at Desire Riviera Maya

We first arrived at the resort very early (due to an early flight) like around 11am We knew the room wouldn’t be ready so we gathered stuff from our bags and left the bags with the bellboys. (One of the bellboys was CHARLIE from Temptation. Every time we’ve been to Temptation, Charlie was the bellboy. So nice to see him and he gave us hugs. He said he’d be back at Temptation when they reopen) We ate at Tentazione and headed straight for the pool. Daniel the towel guy was as efficient as ever. Always finds nice beds for us (and everyone else) He’s such a hard worker and it was refreshing to see him take a break and play pool volleyball against the guests.

Later in the day was the Foam Party (Friday) I have to say that I remember almost nothing about the Foam Party. My husband told me I was drunk, but there are like 4 or 5 solid hours I cannot recall at all. I don’t even remember heading back to the lobby to finally get the room keys or going up to the room for the first time (it’s on the SECOND floor) I don’t know if I was drugged because I’ve never had that happen while drunk (I rarely get drunk, and when I have, i usually just fall asleep.) There is a thread on the Desire forums about women with similar suspicious experiences that felt like they had been drugged. ( go to Desire Resorts Forums and type in ‘mysterious’ in the search field)

Saturday evening, we celebrated Earth Hour. The resort turned off almost all the lights and there were candles everywhere. Some were lit candles and others were battery-operated. Then they put on a great dance performance. We really enjoyed it.

[​IMG]Earth Hour @ Desire RM

[​IMG]Earth Hour @ Desire RM

[​IMG]Dance show at Desire Riviera Maya

The disco was a blast. Great music, great dance floor, great bar, just a whole lot of fun. Jacuzzi area also beautiful. We didn’t go into the water, but we still had a memorable time ;)

All in all, a wonderful, luxurious (but short) vacation for us. If we can find a good deal, we’ll certainly go again.

***After Desire RM, we headed to Golden Parnassus. Our trip report of that is here: Golden Parnassus (Mar 26 - Mar 29, 2017) trip report

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
    Another great job doing the review thanks.

T

3. L&E

L&E Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +318 / 1
    Great trip report! Thanks for sharing.

4. Escalade

Escalade Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice, what a great trip report, with photos! thanks.

5. SharonTerry

SharonTerry Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +373 / 0
    Awesome report! Well except for the possibility of being drugged.. let's hope it was just a little too much to drink :) We are going in 2 weeks for 7 nights and super excited!!!

6. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    With pictures from DRM!

I like that place a lot.

7. 1tejascouple

1tejascouple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0
    Nice trip report. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice