Day Excursion To Isla Mujeres

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by LionsNzebras, Feb 6, 2019.

1. hotfitcpl

hotfitcpl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    Oh shit steve, sorry if I was wrong. Someone at the resort told us that it was that one, wasnt a local. Apologies

2. LionsNzebras

LionsNzebras I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0

Steve please describe a scam and shakedown :)

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    There are quite a few things to watch out for. These things happen in the touristy areas in Cancun too, but in my experience are much more prevalent on Isla Mujeres.

Here's a few common ones:

- Taxis overcharging or taking the long route. Always agree a price before you get in, try to know the price and you don't need to tip (on top of the rip off price they've already charged)
    - Restaurants adding items to the bill, not adding the bill up correctly, adding a tip to the bill (unlawful in Mexico) hoping you dont notice and tip on top of the bill+tip. Always check your bill
    - Bars and restaurants that have beach space charging extortionate amounts for sun bed rental, umbrellas, or other 'services' Make sure you ask the price before agreeing. Don't wait until you leave thinking it's free.
    - Offers to show you the best jewellery store, the best souvenir place, the best restauarant etc. They are all on commission to take you there, so it won't necessarily be the best. Make your own choice.
    - Rip off exchange rates, beware of places that offer prices in Dollars. They'll probably be using a Peso price and exchange it to Dollars at a rate far worse than it really is. Use Pesos as far as possible

More serious ones:
    - Fabricated road accidents with golf carts. Taxi driver or local deliberately causes minor accident, claims it was your fault, calls Police. Police ask you to pay for the damage or be arrested, they split the proceeds 50/50. My advice, cause a fuss, dont understand the language, tell them to arrest you. It's too much hassle, they'll let you go and look for an easier victim.

- Drinking alcohol while driving a golf cart. Not strictly a shakedown because it's illegal to drive a road vehicle while drinking alcohol or under the influence, but it used to have a blind eye turned unless paraletic. Not any more, Police will demand large sums to let you go.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Mark and Barbie

Mark and Barbie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0
    We have been out to Isla Mujeres on our last 3 trips and loved it, but the driver in our group got arrested last time. We got pulled over right after picking up beer at a convenience store. It was maybe our second drink of the day after breakfast. I offered cash to the cop to try to settle it on the spot but the cops refused. Our new Canadian friend was taken to the jail where he blew a .01 when tested. We had to negotiate to get him out and finally ended up paying $200 USD, didn't get a ticket or a receipt. We are still planning on going out there in March for a day, but I won't be drinking until after we turn in our golf cart. We never had a problem a few years ago, but like Steve said they started watching for people drinking while driving on carts.

5. hotfitcpl

hotfitcpl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    Had exactly the same thing happen to us, except we got away for $180US. Guess exchange rates were different then lol

6. Curls

Curls Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Just a note about the golf cart rental. It may have just been us but the one time (out three times going over), we were told it was best to pay the cart rental when we purchased our ferry tickets. Unfortunately once we got over there we didn't really know where exactly to pick it up. There are numerous places that rent them. Wasted almost an hour in the heat wandering all over trying to find the right pick up spot. After that we have just rented once we arrived with no problem.

Also, if you are a craft beer guy, there is a local craft brewery. Run by a couple from North Carolina. Isla Brewing Company - Cerveza Isla Haven't checked it out, but plan to the first week of March.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. LionsNzebras

LionsNzebras I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0
    How much was your cart rental on the other side, and what was the name of the place you went to?

8. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    Stacia & I did the Isla Mujeres day trip, rented a golf cart thing during our last full-week trip to TTR. It was a good time, though it's sort of a vacation from your vacation, since it's so different from TTR.

Basically, what we did is get the cart, I forget how much it cost but they ARE making a killing on it, and we proceeded from where the ferry drops you around the island in counter-clockwise fashion on the main beachside road (it's hard to miss this road, the island's not that big).

We were hungry so the first thing we did is find a pizza joint (with actually really good pizza that didn't taste like it was made in Mexico, with Mexican cheese selections). On the right, open air to the street side, but cooler inside with some good table options as you move inside. Prices were good. I think it had some American/English guy's name as the name of the place, like Arthur's or something like that but I'm probably messing that up. Drinking was involved.

Then, we proceeded on around the island, pulling in to get a beer at any place that seemed like it would be interesting. Most of them would be, if there was a group, but without a group, we were looking for a more crowded fun place rather than hitting aplace which felt abandoned. Found a few of those.

Worked our way around the island and found The Joint (that's the name). Set into the side of the hill which makes up the body of the island as you go inland towards it's center, The Joint has.. I think it's 4 terraced levels, from the street-level you step up onto the deck (largest sq. ft. area of the place, open to the weather and unroofed.

Then up again a few steps to a covered, still open tot he outside area.
    Then up again, now inside walls, but still open to the outside.
    Then up the last time to the area around the uppermost bar in the place. This area is still technically open-air, but it doesn't feel like it as it's twisty-turny to get around up there.

Prices good, service pretty good though when we were there it started raining and when everyone crowded under the roof they weren't able to handle it. Just a logistics issue, not their fault.

We stayed there for a couple of hours, then made our way back to the "town" where the ferry was going to pick us up and found another tiny little bar with some surprising premium selections available.

It's worth doing, but it's Not like TTR.

9. Curls

Curls Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    There are so many on the island side I have no idea what it was called (or if it even had a name lol) If I recall rental was around $50

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice